Thread: David Marks Gilding and Patina

David Marks Gilding and Patina

Hey everyone. Was wondering if anyone knew information on the process that he uses to do this stuff. I know he sells a DVD on his website regarding the steps for about $60. Does anyone have this DVD? Is it worth buying or checking into?

I don't know that I'll be getting into it anytime soon, but it fascinates me and I always forget to ask about it on here. I would like to try and incorporate this in pieces eventually. Not all of them, but I reaaaallly want to give it a try.

Has anyone done this process? Easy to pick up on? I can assume it's pretty messy. Thanks in advance

I saw the episode, I want to say he used a solution of ammonia in a rubber maid tub. The copper didn't go into the solution, but was propped up above it in the container. A quick google should find you a solution to use. Some of the stained glass shops also sell a patina solution that will turn a piece green pretty quickly.

Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

The 'recipe' for his solution is at the site below.

http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...er-374175-.htm

wow, I was totally off on the procedure...
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Westley, maybe check out your library, they might have the DVD
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

David Marks Gilding and Patina

Westley,

I'm not all that familiar with the patina process, so I will be interested in learning that too.

But I can help you with most any gilding questions you might have. Gold leaf work was one of my favorite things that I did in the sign business.

Aloha, Tony
    "You got to learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself". (Author unknown)

"Time flies like..... an arrow,,,Fruit flies like..... a banana." Groucho Marx

Ah,,,to live in Paradise!

Registered voting member

Fighting for all I am worth, and praying every day.

Darren, thanks for the link, that is very informative and a great start!

Stu, never thought of the library, I don't think I've been there since gradeschool Thanks, I'll check it out

Tony, good to know about the leafing. If I have more questions regarding that I know who to come to And you bet I'll post my experience as I try this patina. So when the time comes I'll share info to anyone who wants to know. Hopefully I'll try this sooner than later, but it could be awhile.

Thanks everyone