Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: vacumm help???

vacumm help???

ok i was given this style of vacumm pump, only mine is missun the stuff that goes in the five holes..the top piece in this pic shows a chrome looking piece and a blck piece built withit???? any way its a precision scientific pump. i have tried to get info on this but no avail.. the model doesnt show up on mine the number for the cat. no is this 10021-23 and the
    S.N. is 23ak-11.. first of all i am tryun to find out if the cfm on this is enough for a bag and if so what size of bag. also i need to know what pieces i need to make this work for bag...help!!!!!! i have inserted a pic i found that looks like what i have Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ps-D25.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	6.9 KB 
ID:	39128
    thanks for what help you folks can offer
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Larry,

I found this reference for your pump. You could also email Joe Woodworker and see what he knows about it.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

That's a heck of a gift - that model pump goes for about $400 used, where-is-as-is, on the street.

It may be time to grab up wrenches & do some exploring. I'm pretty positive the silver tube stickin' out the top is an air outlet. There should be another tube or fitting near it that'd be the vacuum (air) inlet (the business end). That inlet should be filtered to keep dust & crud from your bag getting into the pump.

Let's talk about the five holes you mention - can you show us a DiggiePic of 'em? About what size are they? Where are they located? Are they threaded? If they are, are they threaded for bolts or for pipe? If you turn the pump by hand (belt guard removed for the purpose) does air puff out any of 'em? Any develop suction that wants to suck the skin off your fingertip?

Someplace is probably a drain hole for the pump's oil reservoir, and another place a filler cap & yet another place there's probably a sight glass. There's not a lot more that should be necessary for a pump like that - cover plates & the shaft that drives it & one air inlet & one air outlet.
    -- Tim --

This is as close as I could come. It's a slightly smaller unit, but looks like the same shell as yours.

I did find a price for a new D150. $3275.00!!!!

The d75 pulls 2.6 cfm, but I can't find a conversion for the 13.3Mpa into inches of mercury.
    Last edited by Jim DeLaney; 11-14-2009 at 09:49 PM.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DeLaney View Post
    This is as close as I could come. It's a slightly smaller unit, but looks like the same shell as yours.

I did find a price for a new D150. $3275.00!!!!

The d75 pulls 2.6 cfm, but I can't find a conversion for the 13.3Mpa into inches of mercury.
    Would you believe... that 13.3Mpa converts to 3927.48833 inches of mercury?
    -- Tim --

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Or enough vacuum to pull the crome off a bumper..
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

well here ya go tim.. the two top holes and the one big hole in frt are 1/2" pipe thread the bottom hole on the frt has a brass fiting in it??? the top back side has a small chrome threaded piece with a flat on it on one side// i tried to find a model and all i got is what i have gave you guys, but if its the one jim found its to small of cfm for any good bag use??? i was told i need at least 5cfm and preferably 7cfm...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tn_pump pics 001.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	133.5 KB 
ID:	39132

Name:	tn_pump pics 002.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	137.0 KB 
ID:	39133

Name:	tn_pump pics 003.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	138.1 KB 
ID:	39134
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Larry,
    If yours is a D-150 then it would make sense that it will pull 2.6x2 or 5.2 cfm
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

larry,
    a little dinky pump will pull vacuum on a big bag............it`ll just take a while to suck `er down.
    what you have will work fine for an 8' bag......if you want quicker holding power use a storage container, old propane jugs work fine or an old compressor tank.
    good ol` rebuildable american oilbath pump!
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Larry I have this pumphttp://www.woodcraft.com/Product/200...Vinyl-Bag.aspxfrom woodcraft ad have had no problems with using a bag 5' x 9' in size. I found if I use my shop vac in conjunction with the pump it just helps it to suck the bag down quicker. It looks like yours will do it without the assistance of the shop vac.

By the way this pump is only rated at .8 cfm.