candy dish

Well i finally got to turn something.:D I've been working on some childrens rockers for a guy and decided to take a brake.
It's made of spalted pecan with peach base and final. it's 6 1/2 by5 with a 4" final.
thanks for looking and all comments welcome.Please let me know what i can do to make my stuff better.:dunno:
Steve

Attachments

• 006 [800x600].JPG
    006 [800x600].JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 72
  • 005 [800x600].JPG
    005 [800x600].JPG
    105 KB · Views: 60
Great looking candy dish. Really nice finish. I agree with a contrasting finial and base. I like ebony but can get expensive so I use india ink on walnut to make it look like ebony.

Great looking candy dish. Really nice finish. I agree with a contrasting finial and base. I like ebony but can get expensive so I use india ink on walnut to make it look like ebony.
Thanks. I almost used ebony on the final, as i have a few pen blanks i got just for that.don't have any thing big enough for the base so that's why i went with the peach.Does the ink work with any other woods?
Steve,
I woouldn't change a thing.
:thumb:

Don thanks i'll keep trying till i die probably.:eek:

Great work Stephen, the only thing that I would change is the lid, that flat bevel somewhat goes against the rest of the piece, I think that a nice smooth arched transition would appeal me more, but of course this is only my personal taste.

Man, they keep getting better and better, Steve. :thumb: Critique-wise, Toni took the words out of my mouth (fingers?). It's a fine-looking candy dish, but I'd prefer to see a smooth curve from the rim of the lid to the finial. I also agree with the comments about contrasting woods. But regardless of the nit-picking, you did a great job on this one. :clap:

Steve,

That's a great-looking candy dish! I like the shape of all parts but agree with maybe using a darker base and finial.

Now that I'm starting to use my lathe a little, I've got to try one of those!

... I like ebony but can get expensive so I use india ink on walnut to make it look like ebony.

I've used Minwax Ebony stain and TT Black for similar purposes. Whatever works, right? :thumb:

like the main bowl well but i agree on a contrasting finale.. the pecan is great but the peach blends in and i think the contrast would be better
Thanks Larry. My wife said the same thing after i told her what ya all said.
Yes Stephen it does work on other woods. Walnut is already dark and works well. I have used maple and other woods.
Bernie. Thanks for the info.Question how long do you have to soak the wood in order for it to get all the way through,so when you turn it you don't turn the ink away?

Very nice. The finish is great. Finials can be tricky, good job. I agree, a contrasting color for the finial would be a nice touch. Rest, leave as is.
Frank thanks. I think i'll just leave it as is for now. On the next one (if there is a next one) i'll do as the consensous here and get a better contrast.

Very beautiful dish. Great work. My tastes would like a shorter less complex finial on that dish tough.

Bob thanks also. Thought about a smaller finial but wanted to pratice so it just ended up like that

Great work Stephen, the only thing that I would change is the lid, that flat bevel somewhat goes against the rest of the piece, I think that a nice smooth arched transition would appeal me more, but of course this is only my personal taste.
Toni thanks.The top piece that i used wasn't very thick, as it was a small crotch so i didn't have a lot of wood to work with.:(
Man, they keep getting better and better, Steve. :thumb: Critique-wise, Toni took the words out of my mouth (fingers?). It's a fine-looking candy dish, but I'd prefer to see a smooth curve from the rim of the lid to the finial. I also agree with the comments about contrasting woods. But regardless of the nit-picking, you did a great job on this one. :clap:
Thanks Vaughn. Like i said to Toni didn't have much to work with. Thanks for putting up with this rookie, and if it wasn't for ya all i'd still be fumbling more than i do.:eek:
Steve,

That's a great-looking candy dish! I like the shape of all parts but agree with maybe using a darker base and finial.

Now that I'm starting to use my lathe a little, I've got to try one of those!

I've used Minwax Ebony stain and TT Black for similar purposes. Whatever works, right? :thumb:

Bill thanks also. How deep does the stain go in the wood? I know i can sand off most stains with not much problem. What's this tt black?

You did a good job on that, it is nice. I agree with the contrasting wood idea, especially the finial. Ebony is pretty expensive. You can get "Muhamba" sp? from Packard for a lot less than ebony, it is plenty strong, hard and dark.

... Bill thanks also. How deep does the stain go in the wood? I know i can sand off most stains with not much problem. What's this tt black?
For one project, I did all the shaping on a walnut item then let it soak overnight in the ebony stain. I wiped it off and applied shellac to seal, then lacquer to finish. No problem with it rubbing off.

TT = TransTint dye.