frame clamps

larry merlau

what is the best clamp set up for a mitred frame? i know my idea wasnt it!!!:) i am not gettin intot he picture frame business but i got some tomake and can see where a mitered clamp setup can be useful.. so what are your choices and why?

what is the best clamp set up for a mitred frame?...so what are your choices and why?

Those plastic corners with quarter inch threaded rod connecting them do a fairly good job.

So does the "merle" clamp from MLCS.

I usually use these, though. I have two of them.

These work pretty well, too. I have four of them.

Or, you could just make up a good square of 3/4" plywood, drill a couple holes in it to hold the clamp heads, and use it on the inside of the corners, with a couple "F" clamps.

All the methods work, but my preference is for the big frame vises. BTW, I picked mine up at a garage sale - $10 for both of them...

Larry
I was in the same spot last winter with a bunch of frames to make for a backlog of needlework and such around the house, but not interested in setting up a "framing shop".
I bought the Lee Valley/Veritas speed clamp, similar to what others have recommended. Works great. Useful for little boxes and such too.
Peter

Woodpecker's solution, but not cheap.

main_2cs6wedgeset.jpg

www.woodpeck.com/clampingmain.html

Larry,
I'm not sure what's best, but I have had success with this type of jig:
100_8174.JPG

100_8178.JPG

100_8176.JPG

I made it from BB ply and a few left over nuts and bolts.

Wes

I've seen some guys use just masking tape for smaller frames.

Lay out the pieces end to end on the tape, put glue in the miters, then fold it up.

Can't say I've done it, but have seen the technique I think in a magazine somewhere.

Wes,

Your frame clamp is exactly what I'm planning to build. Rockler has the "Clamp Mate" version which is really over-priced. Can you give us the dimensions and details about your rig?

I've seen some guys use just masking tape for smaller frames.

Lay out the pieces end to end on the tape, put glue in the miters, then fold it up. ...
That process works great on a lot of things. I've used it on boxes and frames as well as the eight-sided tapered column on my compass table. :thumb:

Here is a new picture frame clamp from Rockler that I believe is based on a European design.

30108-31-200.jpg

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=19732

I always have problems with this sort of clamps, it is my feeling that there is no way to make pressure in the direction of the arrows on the pic, basically they are thought to keep both parts at 90º, but the pressure of one against the other is achieved by pushing the pieces by hand, with all its ineficacy. maybe I do know how to use them...

I truly believe that Wes Bischel jig is a better option, Tod's suggestion looks great as well.:dunno:

well wes i got clamp coming in from lee valley to use now but i like your homemade version.. so you can add me to the list of liking to get the plans for it.. as for tods clam clamp its not designed for the littel frames,, if made for door frames i think if i read and looked at it right.. nice jig for the use it was designed for though that will draw things tight.

clamps

I have 4 sets of the ones that John showed. I take the red plastic corners off of them first. Too many things trying to move around with them on. They work great!!!! I am planning on buying a couple more. I have two heavy duty dedicated framing clamps. The others work faster and better the way they draw the joint together. It take a few times to get use to them but once you do they are great. They also work on a lot of other woodworking projects.