Leg Vise

Dave Black

I saw a nice leg vise that benchcrafted makes
http://benchcrafted.com/vises-glide.htm
but its $325 so that rules out buying one... and its always more fun to make something. I was thinking about buying an 8" handwheel from grizzly and a vise screw from lee valley or maybe grizzly and using some roller blade wheels for the "glides". Any thoughts about this or this style vise. I won't be making this for a little while, I am getting together my christmas list and was going to add this stuff to it.

Dave, that leg vice is really incredible, wow, but yeah, the price is a bit much.

You can buy the screw........

70g0152s2.jpg

from various places, this one is from Lee Valley, >> LINK << ($36.50) and make your own leg vice. I made one and it works very well indeed, a LOT of holding power.

Cheers!

I know a shop where they used an old auto Steering wheel in lieu of the 8" crank. (they need to quick release and tighten with one hand whilst holding the device with the other) the larger diameter wheel gives them greater leverage and the ability to give it a quick "Spin"

Stu,
I was thinking of getting my screw from lee valley too, whats the quality like from them, I'm assuming it would be better than the shop fox, plus the shop fox doesn't have the piece on it that would pull the clamping jaw out when screwing out the vise. Does the screw spin easily in the nut?

Dave, I made my own screw, as the shipping for something that heavy to Japan, would just about double the price. I'm sure the LV hardware is top drawer.

These things are dirt simple to make. No need to buy all that fancy hardware. Just a screw of some type and rest is wood.

vice.jpg

I picked this one up cheap. I assume it is really old. Use it ALL the time.

Dave, the LV screw is perfect. I am in the process of adding to my workbench even before i have finished it. I got the inspiration from Stus post and Chris Schwartz book on workbench design.

I looked at the local cheapo from Busy Bee then off to LV. There is no comparison.

I decided for the rollers (yup i am adding them too) i bought a couple of small 3/4 wide 2" diameter castor wheels from the local hardware for around 2 bucks each.

I will be posting some pictures in a couple of days of the progress. Actually cut the chop yesterday and finally cut the edges of the main top slab.

So go for it with the LV screw its very smooth action.

I had originally wanted to use the threaded rod Stu used but after looking at it and the price at the local HD it was not worth the additional effort almost the same cost here.

If you have any questions on the LV screw fire away a pm and i will try my best to answer.

Dave, the LV screw is perfect. I am in the process of adding to my workbench even before i have finished it. I got the inspiration from Stus post and Chris Schwartz book on workbench design.

I looked at the local cheapo from Busy Bee then off to LV. There is no comparison.

I decided for the rollers (yup i am adding them too) i bought a couple of small 3/4 wide 2" diameter castor wheels from the local hardware for around 2 bucks each.

I will be posting some pictures in a couple of days of the progress. Actually cut the chop yesterday and finally cut the edges of the main top slab.

I had originally wanted to use the threaded rod Stu used but after looking at it and the price at the local HD it was not worth the additional effort almost the same cost here.

If you have any questions on the LV screw fire away a pm and i will try my best to answer.

I thought about making a screw or using threaded rod, but I would have to buy the threaded rod, and at the price LV wants I don't think there would be much difference, plus threaded rod, in my experiece, doesn't run in and out as smoothly as most vise screw

Hey Rob, did you ever post these pictures? If so, where?