I started on this 10 inch sized bowl tonight out of Black Walnut. Boy, this stuff is real hard wood! Anyway, I found that if I kept my tools very sharp I was making progress. I was just about to quit for the evening when I decided to square up a tenon with my skew. WHAM..... it happened so fast! I had my first "major" catch. Finding the correct angle to use a skew has been a learning process for me and obviously I have not gotten it figured out yet. Anyway when the tool caught it somehow smashed my hand into the tool rest and cut me up pretty good. At first I thought I had broken my smallest finger but soon realized that I was still able to move it. I shut off the lathe and went into the house to clean up my hand. Not too much blood but the "meat" on my finger was not pretty. Don't need stitches or anything but it did give me a pretty good scare. So the next couple of nights I will need to research more on the proper angle for the skew. Here's a couple of photos of what I'm working on. I took it off the lathe and went ahead and soaked it in DNA. I have alot of work to do on it as I had only just gotten it to a basic shape. You can see where the skew got caught in the last photo. It tore up the wood as well but I can smooth that out without any problem when I return it to the lathe.