Show us Your Worst!

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
If you're like me, you probably have some turned pieces that you're very proud of, but you've probably also got a few on the shelf that you wish you had do-overs on. I know I sure do. :rolleyes:

With that in mind, I figured it'd be fun to have a "Hall of Shame" thread. If we can't look at our mistakes and learn from them, we'll never get any better. And if we can't also laugh at our mistakes, then we've got bigger problems than a funky-looking turning.

So let's see some of your worst. Check your ego at the door and feel free to post pics and your own commentary. :D I'll start the bowl rolling with these...

Here's one I dislike more and more every time I see it. It's a great piece of wood, but the form's just a trainwreck. The neck is too big and too straight. You can't tell from the picture, but I also left the bottom too thick, so it's real bottom-heavy when you pick it up.

HF046 - 03 800.jpg

Or there's this one...one of my earlier bowls. It's round and it's shiny, but that's about it. The curve on the sides is not consistent or smooth.

Olive Bowl 2c 800.jpg

And everybody makes at least one UFO bowl. Here's mine:

Bowl 028 - 04 800.jpg

Of course, maybe you don't have any finished pieces that are less than perfect. Surely you have some pics like this one. (This piece always gets lots of comments in my booth.)

Half Price 800.jpg

:rofl:

OK, there's a few to start. Who's gonna step up next? :p

OK,

A vse I tried to do at an angle. The thicknes varies all the way down and the finish feels like an off road cycle track. It's also about an inch thick at the bottom.

My first attemprts at doing globes and hollow forms, these are there staring me in the face asking to be remounted, hollowed out more and have new legs and finials. I will get round to ity. In the meantime they act as a reminder that I am getting better at them.

Pete

For me that's like saying "show me your old socks you don't wear any more"... too many to pick from...:eek:

My first bowl

pecan2_4.jpg

This one was re-turned and has been my shop mallet for a few years now...

CANDLE1.jpg

Nice form on this thin-walled NE... :rolleyes:

UprightOsage.jpg

There are plenty more where those came from...

I could post half my work here....

This one started out to be a suspended bowl with legs... I saw one in a magazine and wanted to try it... should have tried it with less expensive wood and not such hard wood..... I got to the suspended part with legs, but the it jumped off the lathe, hit the floor, rolled out the door and hit the concrete blocks I use for steps, then under the shop. Should have left it there, but I crawled under the shop and got it. I had broken two legs and I should have just shot it, but decided to try to return and salvage... I like the wood, but the shape is atrocious. The wood is called Quebracho... the bark was used in leather tanning back in days past.

Attachments

• 10-435-2.JPG
    10-435-2.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 10-435.JPG
    10-435.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 10-435-3.JPG
    10-435-3.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 5
You guys have to be joking here. Vaughn that first piece i think is fantastic. Yeah I mean i like the look. To me it reminds me of an African pot that the indigenous people make from clay.

Hey there is something for everyone here.:thumb:

Before you burn it send it to Canada.:D:rofl: We will look after it here, and give it all the protection it deserves.:)

If those are you guys worst then i cant consider posting.

Rob mentioned send it before you burn it...well it's to late for a couple of mine. I had a mistake burning ceremony this weekend. I had enough to keep me warm all day yesterday! :wave:

I also included a pic of my first bowl. Yes it's my worst, your suppose to get better with each one right? :rolleyes:

Attachments

• Bowl 1 Oak.JPG
    Bowl 1 Oak.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 23
  • p_00064.jpg
    p_00064.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 18
  • p_00063.jpg
    p_00063.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 19
Well Vaughn i don't really have anything that i would call my worst yet. I have burned the ones that went boom already. Like others have said I can't see anything wrong with anything anyone has posted yet. They all look good to me. I guess we are all our worst critics, but this is how we learn to get better. This is what is great about this forum I feel that i am not alone with my mistakes and am grateful for all the advice that I get that can direct me in the right direction. I am the first to admite that I don't know everything and I am never too old to learn new stuff. If I have not said it before thanks to all that can bear with me and my asking of what may seem like stupid questions.

Well i think mine are the worst by far. The first pic is of the first attempt at a bowl.(if you can call it that):rofl:. It was made on my first lathe a ridged tube lathe. I disliked that lathe so much i never tryed anything else, and ended up giving it to a guy over on WOODS forum.After i got my grizzly and found this place i like to think i've at least become a rookie.:dunno:
Steve
ps. i've never showed that 2x8 to anyone, not even the wife.:rofl::rofl:

Attachments

• 005 [800x600].JPG
    005 [800x600].JPG
    118.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 004 [800x600].JPG
    004 [800x600].JPG
    137.9 KB · Views: 26
  • 003 [800x600].JPG
    003 [800x600].JPG
    136.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 002 [800x600].JPG
    002 [800x600].JPG
    134.3 KB · Views: 26
Every now and then I have a 'seconds' sale on another craft forum. I put up pictures of all the pieces I am not happy with and describe them graphically warts and all and sell them off fpr a pittance, a couple of quid each. I usually sell most of the stuff to people who are quite happy with it and it gets rid of it whilst making a few bob for adhesives, abrasives etc. I agree that what most of us really dislike in out own work, someone else will like.

Pete

I could post half my work here....

This one started out to be a suspended bowl with legs... I saw one in a magazine and wanted to try it... should have tried it with less expensive wood and not such hard wood..... I got to the suspended part with legs, but the it jumped off the lathe, hit the floor, rolled out the door and hit the concrete blocks I use for steps, then under the shop. Should have left it there, but I crawled under the shop and got it. I had broken two legs and I should have just shot it, but decided to try to return and salvage... I like the wood, but the shape is atrocious. The wood is called Quebracho... the bark was used in leather tanning back in days past.

Chuck I think that you're being too self critic with yourself, I can see that upside down on the head of a wooden snowman, it would not be a failed bowl but a succesful snowman hat, and I'm being very serious about it.

Sometimes it is a matter of finding a different application or use to a thing:)