Biesemeyer fence rear rail Q?

I had a GI contractor saw that had a Biese "Homeshop" copy. It had the foot that slid on the rear rail.

My 22124 has a "commercial" Biese with no foot on the tail. It's a bigger fence than the homeshop version. It's very possible that General offers two size fences just like Biesemeyer. I'd think the General 350/650 would have the equivalent of a commercial Biese. In any event, if you're getting a commercial Biese, there shouldn't be a rear foot....which I kind of liked. :huh:

I had a GI contractor saw that had a Biese "Homeshop" copy. It had the foot that slid on the rear rail.

My 22124 has a "commercial" Biese with no foot on the tail. It's a bigger fence than the homeshop version. It's very possible that General offers two size fences just like Biesemeyer. I'd think the General 350/650 would have the equivalent of a commercial Biese. In any event, if you're getting a commercial Biese, there shouldn't be a rear foot....which I kind of liked. :huh:

I agree with you, Scott. Unless I was using the fence on a saw with the stamped steel or open webbed extensions, (or other non-smooth surface), I would not want the foot that rides on the rail. The little pad has worked great and there is nothing sticking out of the bottom of the fence to catch on something either on the rail or when you are removing it or storing it when not using the fence. Not having anything riding on the back rail also allows the rail to be free to connect extension tables to and up close to or against the saw's table. (Just my personal preference, OMMV)

Last edited:
Scott,

That actually makes sense, that the home shop version may be the one with the foot that rides on the back rail.

Mine is definitely the commercial which I ordered and I do know that there is a size difference per the Bies site, so what you say could very well be true.

FWIW, my table top is 40" x 44" and machine scraped, so it appears to have rows of cast iron, this is how the older precision tops were done. The entire top is one piece, solid web'd cast iron, and it's heavy. The fence works ok on it, but requires some patience to set, and I'm hoping the Bies will help that. If the commercial Bies fence coming has the nylon pad, that will be perfect for me.

I remember when you sold your General, and I was wanting to buy one at the time. Ended up with my Ridgid 3612 that was a great little saw. But, oh what a saw I ended up with...who woulda figured...<g> My contractor saw gave me an opportunity to get my feet wet into woodworking again, my Yates-American gives me the opportunity to have a table saw that will do anything I would need for an entire life.