Well its not woodworking but it still tweeks the little boy in me

What I find amazing is that it is essentially a very large bomb that explodes in a controlled fashion for a considerable amount of time.

Just watched it and my only response is I can't believe that thing can fly like that! Just awe inspiring!

I heard blast off on the radio this afternoon and the announcer said that this was the 129th space shuttle mission in the past 30 years.
Boy that makes me feel old. :(
I still find it pretty interesting.

Reminds me of when I saw it live back in 1982. It felt like someone was beating on your chest when it took off. Will never forget that. We were down in Florida on vacation at the time and my father decided not to go to a meeting for the Moose Lodge and we went to Cape Canaveral instead.

strange that this post is here as me and the wife were just talking about the shuttle. Her dad took her and there family to see the first shuttle before the launch. Parker F.I.L. is (was) a aero space engineer for IBM till he retired. He worked on most projects up to the shuttle.He had a piece of the apollo crart that landed on the moon.
My boss saw this shuttle go up today as his cruse ship was coming into port. He told me (on the phone) that they were about 100 miles away, but he said it was so clear that he thought it was right over his head.
We love the space program and hope they keep it for ever.:thumb:
Steve

i find it impressive too, but not as impressive as watching a saturn v getting off the pad. none of this going off like a skyrocket there. 5-10 seconds from ignition to build up to full raw power, then another 9-10 seconds for that 364 foot monster just to clear the tower, clawing it's way up on just sheer power. then it was off like a bat, on it's way to orbit.

My dad was part of the team that developed and built the space shuttle. Components were manufactured in Downey, CA and trucked off to get assembled at Edwards Air Force base out in the desert. They would have to lift power lines to get the tail assembly under them on the street route to the highway in the dead of the night very close to our home.

I am pretty proud of my dad. He worked in the space program starting with the X-15, thought Gemini, Apollo, Apollo-Soyuz and the space shuttle. In between those projects he also worked on the B-1 bomber and various other aerospace projects. Real fun stuff when you are a kid and just as amazing as an adult.

Cheers,

I am pretty proud of my dad. He worked in the space program starting with the X-15, thought Gemini, Apollo, Apollo-Soyuz and the space shuttle. In between those projects he also worked on the B-1 bomber and various other aerospace projects. Real fun stuff when you are a kid and just as amazing as an adult.

Cheers,[/QUOTE]

I would be also:thumb::thumb::thumb: Man the stories he probably tells you..........awesome:D

Yep I get chills everytime I see a launch also