Mortiser-is it time to pop for a jet?

allen levine

With their sale on now, its 299, and I dont have to pay shipping since I can get one at my neighborhood tool guy.
I was holding off thinking I might take a road trip when the weather gets colder and drive into PA and visit the Grizzly store.
I see they sell shop fox and thats a 3/4 hp, not sure if 1/4 horse will mean much to me.
I think jets sale ends after december, so Ihave to decide within the next few weeks.
Anyone have the jet mortiser? Is this the time to pop for one at this great price?

With their sale on now, its 299, and I dont have to pay shipping since I can get one at my neighborhood tool guy.
I was holding off thinking I might take a road trip when the weather gets colder and drive into PA and visit the Grizzly store.
I see they sell shop fox and thats a 3/4 hp, not sure if 1/4 horse will mean much to me.
I think jets sale ends after december, so Ihave to decide within the next few weeks.
Anyone have the jet mortiser? Is this the time to pop for one at this great price?

We carry the Jet at my Woodcraft store, so I have played with it a little, (not in actual use). It looks to be a solid tool.

I have a Steel City, and I am happy with it. For me it was between the Delta and S-C. S-C won on price and a few features. Some of S-C's features are similar to Powermatic's. Next to the Delta & S-C the Jet seemed very bare bones.

I've got the Shop Fox and have been real happy with it. It and the Jet are very similar, although I like the handle on the Shop Fox better. Still not in the same league as a free-standing mortiser like the PM 719 or 720, but plenty capable for what I've needed.

I just recently bought the General International mortiser. In fact, I just finished the stand for it last weekend. Great little mortiser and it tilts.

allen, i've used my jet mortiser for the best part of the last several years. making mortises in everything from pine to white oak, and have yet to find anything to complain about.:D:thumb:

Hey Allen,
Rockler is having a huge sale on 11/27-12/4. The Delta mortiser is on sale for $289 plus a $25 gift card. Lots of turning stuff on sale as well. No sales tax in NH.
Come on up to Salem NH save some $ and I'll buy you lunch as well !!
I have the Delta and love it.
They also have 7mm pen kits $1.99, Gold Cigar kits $3.99. Multi roll sanding pack $11.99 6pc. Sorby tool set $149. Plus a bunch of other stuff.
My kids were going to buy me the excelsior Mini lathe for $249 last week but i showed them this add so they gave me a gift certificate. The lathe is normally $249.00 now on sale for $199 plus a $100.00 gift card. Plus I have a 15% discount card for taking their turning class last month. Wahoo!!

Last edited:
Id like to keep the cost under or up to 300.
Im going to contact my tool guy next week, I know he deals with jet and delta, but want to see if he deals with shop fox.:dunno:

I know the jet comes with 3 bit and chisel sets included. I have quite a few sets, but the shaft is thinner on my delta mortiser attachment than most mortisers.

Id like a powermatic or general int, but they are close to 500 bucks, gotta make a compromise somewhere.