Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ash Bowls

Ash Bowls

Slightly spalted... the smaller one has antique oil on it and the bigger one has lacquer. Not enough difference in color to make much difference, so will probably use AO on any more of this wood that I turn.

If you have a pulse you have a purpose...

Nice looking bowls Mark. I realy like the shape of the smaller one. How hard is it to turn? How thick are the walls of the bowls? How many coats of finish are on them? did you buff them out or is this just a rubbed on or paint on finish?
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

Great pair of bowls, Mark. Those should sell well. I'm sort of surprised the one you finished with Antique Oil didn't come out a bit darker than the lacquered one. Sure can't see much difference in the pics.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Those are sure super Mark, I normally find Ash fairly plain, good wood, but plain for turning, but those are very nice, and the form is spot on
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

I really like the ogee form for bowls because it dresses up a plain utility bowl and gives it a classy appearance.

I prefer the form of the 12" diameter bowl best but I like the grain and spalting patterns on the larger bowl best. Both bowls are winners.
    I may be getting a little older physically but mentally I'm still tarp as a shack.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Watson View Post
    How hard is it to turn? How thick are the walls of the bowls? How many coats of finish are on them? did you buff them out or is this just a rubbed on or paint on finish?
    Ash is easy to turn. There are a couple of things I like about it and the main one is that the wood barely moves as it dries. In fact, it actually sands pretty good when green. The walls are probably 3/16" thick - especially on the bigger bowl. They are not buffed - the finish was applied with a rag and then wiped off almost immediately. No buffing.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    I'm sort of surprised the one you finished with Antique Oil didn't come out a bit darker than the lacquered one. Sure can't see much difference in the pics.
    Same here... I was surprised at how close they ended up in color. A casual observer would likely not even notice the difference unless they were side by side.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stafford View Post
    I really like the ogee form for bowls...

I prefer the form of the 12" diameter bowl best but I like the grain and spalting patterns on the larger bowl best.
    Me, too. I actually intended to put an upright, sloped rim on the 13" bowl, but for some reason ended up flaring it like the smaller one. I like it okay, but think the deeper bowl doesn't look as good with that rim as the shallower one.
    If you have a pulse you have a purpose...

Very nice Mark, the spalting makes the ash looks better than what I've seen in the past.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Nicely done. Good curve and finish. The wood really showed for you.
    Working flat so I can play round,
    Doug Miller

Repentance Is The
    Prerequisite For
    Gods Forgiveness

Mark,
    Great pieces... I like the shape of both of them and the wood is beautiful...
    frankly the shapes were so close I had to take second look to distinguish them... I took the liberty of copying them to my go-by picture file (with credit to the artist) for someday trying to do a similar piece.... probably won't be ash as I don't have any.

I don't care for the effects of lacquer myself.. most probably because I'm not good with the spray cans.... and I've never used the antique oil... I like the effects of that.
    I just picked up a gallon of mineral oil from a local wood artist I met in Chattanooga... he buys it in 55 gal drums and repackages to give away or sell with his bowls, rolling pins and cutting boards. Just beginning to try to use it.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Great bowls Mark. Really nice looking ash. I like turning ash for the things you mentioned.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.