new Deputy in town

Carol Reed

In Memoriam
My Dust Deputy arrived and I rigged it up today. Still need a carpet pad glued to the inside of the OSB disk. I'll get some of that on Friday. The thing really sucks well. Right now it blows a little dust past the OSB disk but the carpet pad seal should take care of that. The carpet pad is what is recommended in the DIY instructions that came with the cyclone.

The trash bag is held in place with a bungee cord around the rim. Interesting thing with that. When I placed my hand over the inlet to experience the sucking power, it sucked the bag right into the cyclone! It was pulling air from around the OSB. I may have to increase the bungee hold down to get a good seal, though. We'll see.

So cleaning up just became easier.

Attachments

• Dust Deputy Set-up.jpg
    Dust Deputy Set-up.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 74
Interesting setup you've got there. Tall, but space-saving.

The cyclone HAS to have a tight seal, or some of the trash will still ent up in the vacuum. With a tight seal, virtually everything will end up in the can.

I have mine on a 10 gallon metal can, and if I put my hand over the end of the hose, it'll actually start collapsing the can. After several canfulls of debris, there's virtually nothing in the vacuum.

Congrats, Carol. I wish I had room for a big barrel setup like that. That should work great once you get everything sealed up.

I've had a chance to use mine (5-gallon version) for a fair amount of drywall sanding cleanup, as well as general shop floor lathe debris cleanup. Over the course of several days, I probably built up 4 or 5 inches of drywall dust in the bucket. There was just enough dust in the vacuum barrel to give it a very light white dusting, but no dust buildup in the bottom of the vacuum. When I removed the Clean Stream filter and banged it on the side of a trash can, no visible dust came off the filter. I'm very impressed with the results. :thumb:

20" diameter. I'm surprised that it is not unduly top heavy. With a couple inches of junk in the bag, it ought to be perfectly balanced.

It is on wheels? That would be a must in my shop.

Hot tip...I've been buying mover's dollies from Harbor Freight. They're about $10 for the small one and $14 or $15 for the bigger ones on sale. I can't buy four casters for those prices. I've got a variety of things -- from cutoff bins to my spindle sander -- on dollies, and a few others like my shop vac cart and vacuum pump on wheels I've liberated from dollies. (Still saving the carpeted platforms, but I dunno what for.)

Not on wheels yet. Still a WIP.

But HF is on my Saturday shopping list. I have my router table on one of their dollies. Your are right. A great a deal.

Very cool idea Carol. I have been looking to further minimize the footprint of my main vac and possibly add a DD. I have a 30gal metal can leftover from my old DC seperator that is looking for a home. Hmmmm.

P.s. Where'd you get the metal one? All I can find are plastic ones anymore.

Last edited:
It is plastic, Glen. Its one I had knocking around. No longer had a lid. I looked at metal ones at HD and had to grab the shelf and take deep breathes until the dizziness left me! :eek: Even the plastic ones are priced as crown jewels.