One thing I love about my shop

Jeff Horton

One thing I love about my shop is that fact I can pull my truck inside to work on it. Alternator is acting up. Going to pull it off tonight and run it to the shop tomorrow. I had to move some stuff around to get the truck in but it is SOOOOOO nice to have a shop after all these years of working in the dirt. Plus it is cold outside too!
shop.jpg
Jeff

Jeff, Jeff, Jeff.... I can see I am going to have to train you. You got Tyler covered with the photo, so thats good. But I want to see at least a model number too. :D :D :D

I can't tell from the photo what Chevy Model it is Details man! Details! :dunno: :eek: :dunno:
Oh I see its just a big red truck!!!!:thumb:

I just couldn't resist.....:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

P.S. 1 picture doesn't constitute a shop tour.

Last edited:
Jeff, Jeff, Jeff.... I can see I am going to have to train you. You got Tyler covered with the photo, so thats good. But I want to see at least a model number too. :D :D :D

I can't tell from the photo what Chevy Model it is Details man! Details! :dunno: :eek: :dunno:
Oh I see its just a big red truck!!!!:thumb:

I just couldn't resist.....:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

P.S. 1 picture doesn't constitute a shop tour.

Bart this is classic, just about spit my coffee all over the monitor :rofl::rofl: :thumb:

You tell him!! :headbang:

ok jeff!!

One thing I love about my shop is that fact I can pull my truck inside to work on it. Alternator is acting up. Going to pull it off tonight and run it to the shop tomorrow. I had to move some stuff around to get the truck in but it is SOOOOOO nice to have a shop after all these years of working in the dirt. Plus it is cold outside too!
View attachment 3557
Jeff

now if you havent already i would like to see the rest of that shop or at least the layout,, it apears to be on the same mindset as what i want to do the OH door is the same the room off the left appears tp be similar too is it your finishing room? what are the dimensions of the shop area?:thumb:

That is good. My shop is a double-long one car garage under the house and it is full of my tools. But, I also have a 30'X50' pole barn that is intended to be used as a garage. However, it is stacked so full of 'stuf' my wife refuses to throw away that the only vehicle I can squeeze in there is my ATV. Truck and car set outside. Oh, well.

I can see where being able to work on things would have its benefits, but not to sound snide or anything, I would think that a dedicated woodworking space would be better. Of course things are different and every situation is different, but when I planned my shop I purposely made sure it was dedicated solely to woodworking.

I did that so I could keep things organized. I wanted to be able to keep my woodworking stuff close at hand and not interupt ww space with mechanic tools. That invites clutter in my opinion and clutter and disorganization means wasted time in the shop. I am sure I am not alone in that I never get enough shop time.

My shop has two sections right now. Woodworking on one side and my other passion, snowmobiling on the other. I went to great lengths to keep the two seperate. I have two seperate sets of mechanic tools so I am not constantly bringing say mechanic tools into my ww shop to adjust machines and whatnot. Sometimes I need a clamp from the WW section to hold something on my sled and that is okay, and my compressor serves both passions, but overall they are seperated as much as possible to make things much more organized.

When I build my garage, then its another set of tools and will be where I house my metal working tools. At some point I plan to get some machine tools as I am a machinist by trade. Of course that also might explain my out-of-control organization fetish!!

Still I understand that some people do not have this option. I live way out in the middle of nowhere so I got plenty of room around property lines and all that. I can certainly see that in the subburbs and stuff that having a shop that can serve double duty would bode quite well.

http://www.railroadmachinist.com/Shop-Tour-1.html

Shop_Overview_Outside-452x334.jpg

Last edited:
Larry, here is my previous post with the Shop Tour. My Lab is roughly 30 x 40. It is a basement and my original intentions was to put the garage door to the left side (In that photo) where my wood rack is. I didn't want the space divided it down the middle as it ended up, but it only causes minor problems.

However, when we laid it out it just wasn't practical to put the door there. I would have ended up with a really high bank where we had to dig out for the the door and driveway. Plus the drive would have had to been rather steep and a tight turn into the basement. So I had to compromise and come in the back side of the basement. It has worked out pretty well though.

Travis, I don't do much mechanical work anymore except on restoring machines. So having the truck or tractor in there isn't a big deal to me. As soon as it finished it goes back to the garage or barn. Besides I only have one set of tools. :D

That is good. My shop is a double-long one car garage under the house and it is full of my tools. But, I also have a 30'X50' pole barn that is intended to be used as a garage. However, it is stacked so full of 'stuf' my wife refuses to throw away that the only vehicle I can squeeze in there is my ATV. Truck and car set outside. Oh, well.

Frank

My Dad had a rule for what was hauled in the 5th wheel on trips that could be revised for your situation. If it isn't used with in 3 trips it got taken out of the 5th wheel.

Revised: If it isn't used with in 3 years its history.

If I don't have a shop full of cabinets, and a little bit of rearranging, I can get 5 vehicles in if needed. Say a hail storm is coming up

I'd kill to be able to drive a truck into my shop. My last shop had a roll-up door, but the building is well over 100 years old, and the door was a few inches short. I think my old kharmann ghia would've fit:rolleyes:

New shop is on the 3rd floor, so that's out... It's all about the freight elevator.