Quick File Handles

I'm curious, you guys have NEVER had a file handle work loose on a file and had to pound it back in place and then have it work loose again and find that pounding it did not work? :huh:

:wave:

Honestly, not. What I do with my files, rasps and carving gouges is to wrap the tang with several turns of "papel engomado" I do not know its name in english.
It is that sort of paper used to seal the back of paint frames to prevent dust getting in and years ago it was used to seal packages as well and book binding.
It is a paper strip that has one side coated with glue similar to the one used in stamps.
You soak with water, wrap it around the tang and pound the tang in the handle. As it is soft because it is wet it fills in all the woids and adapts to the tang without crushing the wood, once it is dry, is as strong as the handle itself. They never get loose unless I crack the handle.

My concern with those handles is that you have to be careful when placing the tang as I guess that the edges of it should not go into the sawcuts:dunno:
On the other hand they look great and if they work well I don't see any reason of not giving them a try as well, thanks for the post and tutorial Stu:thumb:

Hi Stu,

How about adding this from LeeValley?

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&cat=1,43456,59452&p=59452

With the stainless steel coiled wire you can have it secure but allow for expansion and remove if you need a new handle.
97k1080i1.jpg

I have one of these I made and mostly use it for hose clamps...works real well on air hose and items like that.
Garry

It may be a dandy little gadget. But, I have seen that ad and wonder about the wisdom of continuing to use a hammer with a broken handle, wire wrapped or not. Howzabout just replacing the handle?

Frank
Most of those repairs are more for emergency repairs than long term ones. I know some continue to use long tern but often on boats or even the farm or where ever you need it now working now and there will be time later for pretty.
And the hammer handle is a very small part of what it is use full for.
Garry