another coffee table

allen levine

Mahogany legs turned on lathe, mahogany drawer fronts, used the same piece of wood for drawer fronts, funny, they dont look the same.
Used the mystery wood for top and aprons. (lumber guy still insists it was one of the rosewood families, I brought it into the light to shoot a picture)
The top is very pinkish with brown-black lines going lengthwise.
It looks nice, Im not losing sleep over what kind of wood it is, I paid under a 1.00 a bf, Im thrilled.(its very hard, sanding will be slow)
I had some 1/2 birch ply laying around, so I used it for the 2 small drawers.
Im sorry I used bottom cheap slides(stuff I have laying around), I should have used a bottom center slide.
I thought about spicing up the drawer joints, by putting in walnut plugs, for the look, but it wasnt necessary, they are really not seen. Eventually I learn how to dovetail.
Simple joinery, pocket screws, and my second mistake was using what I had laying around planed for the drawer runners. I used white oak, could not get a screw in them easily, its so hard.Stripped 3 screws before I found different ones.
This is the unit before I cut down the top(Im putting a slight arch on sides, as per advice received here, I will flip my mdf router template so I only use one arch so each side will be similar)
It needs a good sanding, I havent done much with sanding , but this is it before I cut down the top. Just hoping I dont mess the top up.
Thanx to those that steered me in the right direction as far as cutting arc sides.

Ill probably put some type of pre finisher on it, to even out any finish, then I might forgo stain and just hand wipe on poly.

Attachments

• wood stuff 1458 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1458 (Medium).jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 73
  • wood stuff 1459 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1459 (Medium).jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 53
  • wood stuff 1460 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1460 (Medium).jpg
    60 KB · Views: 69
  • wood stuff 1461 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1461 (Medium).jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 56
  • wood stuff 1463 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1463 (Medium).jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 47
  • wood stuff 1464 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1464 (Medium).jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 45
  • wood stuff 1465 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1465 (Medium).jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 74
i agree with don on the top wood,, thats some neat stuff allen..the arched top will be a nice addition to the table.. and then your finish will do a fine job of making it another nice projects by allen!!!

Its kinda nice having a combination of 250 years experience answering questions. Ya gotta love a place like this.
Cut and put a little profile on the edge. I was thinking about doing an inlay, but then figured whoa, lets stay real here, besides,(Id also need a down cut bit, not sure if my dado bit will work well for that) the top will darken up and a walnut or mahogany strip may not be that noticable. Another time.
This is the top sanded to 120 grit, all cut and ready for final sanding.
I put a little mineral spirits on it to see the color come out.(on the last picture, there looks like theres a dent on the side next to the middle bubble on the level, but that is not there, thats just the picture. The arc has a beautiful curved transition along both sides, I used the same arc template, for all four sides.)

Attachments

• wood stuff 1469 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1469 (Medium).jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 44
  • wood stuff 1468 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1468 (Medium).jpg
    57 KB · Views: 47
  • wood stuff 1467 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1467 (Medium).jpg
    40 KB · Views: 45
  • wood stuff 1466 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1466 (Medium).jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 40
WOW Allen:eek: That is nice:thumb: good design, great wood, the turning, well its round stuff:p:rofl:, AND IT IS NICE ALSO:p:thumb: You are getting some mad tallent there Allen:thumb::thumb::thumb:

As per Dons advice

BLO rubbed on, waiting 10 or so minutes, then wiped it off.
Did the mahogany drawer fronts and legs also.
I sanded the unit and top down to 220, and hand sanded the legs to 220 free hand, with out a block since I wanted to try to make the curves transform nicely into the square.(Im trying)
The BLO hid the transition nicely. Current pics if anyone is following.

Attachments

• wood stuff 1476 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1476 (Medium).jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 28
  • wood stuff 1478 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1478 (Medium).jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 28
  • wood stuff 1479 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1479 (Medium).jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 28
  • wood stuff 1480 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1480 (Medium).jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 31
  • wood stuff 1481 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1481 (Medium).jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 29
well allen those two woods were meant for each other in that piece,, the blo made it show the top's grain and the apron's as well just fine:) now after it finally dries some more you can hit it with your final finish!!

finished

I might have to rub on another coat or two of poly, depending on how much sheen my son wants.
Hardware is on, top will not be attached until it is set in final place. I need to store it so its easier to move around without top, Ive already put a knick on top.(zclips take one minute to install, so attaching top is simple)
The drawers are oversized since they will be filled with game remotes.
blo and 7 coats rub on poly/minwax.
wish I could get better pictures. sorry.

The next matching end table, when I do get around to it, will have either a clear glass center or I will route wood thin enough in a strip to put a wireless charger for phones, handhelds, etc.....so they can be placed right on the table to charge.

Attachments

• wood stuff 1484 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1484 (Medium).jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 20
  • wood stuff 1485 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1485 (Medium).jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 19