Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: first christmas decoration

first christmas decoration

Hi all, Joined the local guild and the demo was a christmas decoration. So had to give it a try and it was fun. I know it is not the best but still it was fun to make. I can see spending more time turning. Oh that slope is getting steeper. comments and pointers welcome.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1st Christmas decoration 005.JPG   1st Christmas decoration 006.JPG  
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

You kill me. You just got your lathe what seems like a few days ago and look at the fancy hollowed out ornaments! That looks great!
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    INside out turning, drew, good job. they are fun arn't they.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

That looks great Drew, I tried those, but always went too thin and spread them around the shop in little pieces
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Ok, Can anyone post a tutorial on how you hollow them out? That looks really cool.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.

Yea Brent it has only been two weeks with the lathe but the quality is not there by a long shot. I will say the sharp tools have made it fun. I still have to learn to sharpen them a bit better.

Yes Don they are lots of fun. This one was cherry with maple. I want to try some stronger contrasting wood. I am going to get a few more done before Christmas. Practice, practice, practice is the only way to get better. The finnal ( spelling) actually broke on me right at the end. I think that I need some smaller tools to finish off small things like this. The fellow that did the demo at the meeting did small plugs to cover the inside holes. i just made the plugs longer so that they went right through. the wife wants to hang a small crystal inside.

I was concerned about it blowing apart Stu so I held back on pushing it too far. It really didn't turn out as good as I had hoped but it did turn out so that is a bonus. I have had to chase a couple of bowls across the floor of the shop so far. Quite funny actually.

Brent when i do another one I will take and post some pics of it. They really are fun to make.
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    Ok, Can anyone post a tutorial on how you hollow them out? That looks really cool.
    I think that >> THIS ONE << is the definitive

now that I have a table saw that can cut thick blocks like that, and square too, I might just have another shot at these!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Thats Brilliant. Thanks Stu!

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    I think that >> THIS ONE << is the definitive

now that I have a table saw that can cut thick blocks like that, and square too, I might just have another shot at these!
    That is one way of doing it Stu. The way I was shown didn't glue the blocks together to begin with. Blue painters tape and a hose clamp. then after you turn the inside you just cut one seam and the whole thing folds over. mark the blocks to their orientation and then take them apart. and Glue them up. After that you drill a hole and use a pen turners mandrel to turn the outside. Then make the finnel and the top plug.

Dang Drew, you're sure not wasting any time, are you? That came out looking very good, especially for a first time.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com