Finished First NE bowl "Sacrifice", and award gloat

Keith Palmer

Last winter my brother and his wife decided to add on to their house, but there was an apple tree that had to come down. I told him I would help him cut it and take the wood to turn. I roughed out several pieces last December and this is the first one I finished. I am going to give it to my sister-in-law for her b-day in Dec. Now they can have their apple tree in their house!

I finished the bowl with antique oil and buffed it. It is 7" from tip to tip and 4.5" tall.

I got it done just in time for the Puyallup Woodcarvers show last weekend and took first place in the bowl category

Critiques welcomed!

img_6233.jpg

img_6239.jpg

img_6243.jpg

Nothing wrong with the bowl and the finish etc Looks excellent. On a personal taste level though it id far too glossy for me. I prefere a silky sheen on NE things but as said that's my taste, not detracting from what is a lovely looking bowl

Pete

Nothing wrong with the bowl and the finish etc Looks excellent. On a personal taste level though it id far too glossy for me. I prefere a silky sheen on NE things but as said that's my taste, not detracting from what is a lovely looking bowl

Pete

I will agree, I prefer the satin sheen. This is the first time I used the AO. As I am still experimenting with what finish I like to use best. The bowl looked great with the first 2 coats, but had a couple dry spots so I added one more and it went from satin smooth to gloss. Many of the folks I have shown my stuff to they really like the gloss, but I like the more natural feel of the silky sheen.

Nice bowl, and congrats on the ribbon. :thumb: If you want the AO to look a little less glossy, you can rub it with either 0000 steel wool or white Scotch Brite material. That'll bring back the satin look pretty quickly and easily.

Keith,

Nice bowl! What tool do you use to scribe the bottom?

I use a Dremel vibrating engraver

290-01.jpg

I took the carbide tip out of mine and ground a broken 1/8" bit with more of a ball point tip rather than a sharp point. I just chucked it in my drill and ran the drill while applying it to the grinder to get a concentric cone. I found that it doesn't get stuck following the grain with that kind of a grind.

Here is my tip, it also makes it easier to see what you are writing.
4120664623_74d639a40d_o.jpg

4120664649_ffc12b6153_o.jpg

Last edited: