Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: omnijig 16 5116 need help

omnijig 16 5116 need help

Just bought this jig, no manual but was able to download one of the web. I've tried to set it up per the manual and havn't been able to make a half blind dovetail, the pins are to small. The manual calls for a for a 42046 guide
    (5/8) but the slots are 7/16 so I tried a 7/16 guide. Not being familar with dovetail jigs, It seems logical to me. The template doesn't have a part number
    maybe it's custom, it has 26 slots that are 7/16s wide and 3/4s deep. I also used a 1/2 inch, 14 degree dovetail bit. There's something I'm not seeing or understanding. I'm not about to give up, but getting pretty frustrated. Thanks for any help. Just joined and it looks like a great forum.

You'll need to toy with the router's depth to get the pins & tails to the right fit with each other. It may take quite a lot of trial runs before you get it - the tails should penetrate about HALF-WAY through the pin board. You might experiment, too, with a 15-degree bit.

When you get the pins & tails to fit together right, cut yourself a little MDF template so you can register the same depth quickly next time. Keep it with THAT ROUTER BIT because it'll be specific to that one bit in the whole world - the next same-brand & model router bit won't fit quite the same way.
    -- Tim --

the omnijig came with a 1/2" 1/2-blind template stock but there were quite a few other templates available.
    with 7/16 slots it could either be for small 1/2-blinds or fingerjoints?...(it`s been many moons since i`ve used one and my memory is kinda like swiss cheese....full of holes )
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Glenn,
    I was just looking at the manual online, is it possible that you are using the 1/4" half blind template? With that many slots, that's what it appears to be.
    In that case you would use the 5/16" guide and a 1/4" dovetail bit. I have the 12" P-C jig and I have 13 slots for my 1/2 half blind template, so I figure that a 16" jig should have somewhere around 17 slots or so for the 1/2" HB.

Tim the pins are half the size of the tails in the tail board. Good advice on the mdf, hadn't thought about that

Todd got the same problem with holes. It looks like some of the pictures I've found, but not good enough to count. Even then is it for the 1/2 blind.

Conrad how deep and wide are your slots?

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Watkins View Post
    Tim the pins are half the size of the tails in the tail board. Good advice on the mdf, hadn't thought about that
    If the pins are half the size of the tails, then the router bit is too narrow or the template guide has too small a diameter, or the bit's extended too far. Try drawing the bit back about 1/8" and see how the fit changes.
    -- Tim --

Tim I'll give it a shot in the morning. 7/16 is as wide as I can go, I'm using a 14 degree bit, 1/2 inch. I'll let you know.
    Thanks

I don't know if it will make a lot of difference, but the flute on my bit is 1/2 inch and the porter cable is 7/16. we'll se if I can find a bit here, I'm not betting on that with basically with just a Home depot

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Glenn,
    My jig has 1/2" FINGeRS with 1/2" spaces. I find that the depth is criticle ingetting the tails to match. My jig instructions very specificaly call for a 14 degrees bit.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward