Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mahjong wooden rack out of one solid piece of wood

Mahjong wooden rack out of one solid piece of wood

I know this is an oddball request, but my wife and a group of her friends began learning and playing recently, and Id like to make her wooden racks for the tiles(instead of plastic, and I know I can purchase wooden racks for 20 bucks for 4, but I want to make it for her as a gift)
    If you look at any rack(nothing to hold chips, just a straight 18 inch tile holder), can someone please help me with the cuts I need for the shape, and in which order I would cut them. Im a bit puzzled by it, and I want to do it with one solid piece, no glueups.
    Any help would be appreciated, but please understand I have a limited number of router bits, would be willing to purchase, but would prefer to do it all on table saw.(if possible.)

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    This is a business card holder I make. I put them in antique store with my cards so that potential clients can get ahold of me.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bisiness card holder.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	50.3 KB 
ID:	39442
    I take a block of wood (in this case maple) or any scraps I have laying around. Take the block and use a dado blade to cut the center, Turn it on ot's side and cut away the front to the depth I want, round off the corners. Sand, Finish and wah la instant business card holder.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

not exactly what Im looking for, if you have time, look at a mahjong rack, it has an angled tile rack and needs a flat surface on top to place tiles.

Is this what we're talking about Allen? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	allenmajong1.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	11.2 KB 
ID:	39457Click image for larger version. 

Name:	allenmajong2.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	15.7 KB 
ID:	39458

You ask about making it out of one piece which could be done but seems awkward. An angled dado down the length at about 5* and then inserting a strip with one 5* edge (into the dado ) and one 90* edge would be quick and easy. You could even mix woods that way.

It could get hairy but you could do this on the table saw. Please make sure the released pieces are not captured between your keeper and the fence. that is; the spoil should fall free to the opposite side of the blade from the fence:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails allenmajong3.jpg  
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 11-21-2009 at 10:36 PM.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

thats what Im talkin bout, no chip holder though.

Ill try the cuts, hairy doesnt bother me.

be careful allen,, doesnt look to safe to me..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

I drew out on the edge of a piece of 20 inch 2x4, what I wanted, looked at what glenn put as cutting, and gave it a shot. Its pretty close to what she wants, the only thing is she wants a curved lip in front of the tile rack holder shelf, and I have no clue whatsoever how to cut a curve in there.(the average tile is 1 and 3/16 by 7/8 by 1/2 inch thick, so I made two out of 1/2 inch ply for sizing purposes)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wood stuff 1471 (Medium).jpg   wood stuff 1473 (Medium).jpg  

allen is the edge your wanting to be rounded? if so then get a round style chamfer tool or just sand the edge round by hand with a block that is the shape you want with sand paper in it..personally i would just hand sand it to where i wanted it..
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tn_allens edge.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	138.7 KB 
ID:	39499
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Looking good Allen I made a few of those for my neighbor who works at a seniors complex. They have a group that are right into that game. I made them similar to what you have. Maybe you could glue a couple of small peices to it that have a curve in it. Just a thought.
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

The side profile on top is what I got, the one on the bottom is what she really wants. ARe there small planes that I can curve the top off with?
    I can probably cut an additional piece with a curved profile on the top and glue it to the front if I need that piece. Any input would be appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wood stuff 1482 (Medium).jpg