Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mesquite & Blackwood

Mesquite & Blackwood

The domed base for the finial, as well as the inset design, was inspired by a couple of pieces Keith Burns' has turned. Mesquite is one of my favorite woods to turn... cuts like butter and sands/finishes very easy. All comments - good, bad, or ugly - are welcome.

If you have a pulse you have a purpose...

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    very nice. Misquite is great wood to turn. Theres a chunk of it in my lathe as we speak. My sone is turning a box. Waiting for me to make a sled so he can cut the top off.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Everything simply works on this piece. The finial, proportion, wood and finish etc are all flawless. Great work.

The Good: The vessel and finial are superb...right on the money

The Bad: I'd prefer the domed lid to be a smidgen wider, but that's just my personal preference

The Ugly: Well, that'd be me.

You've been cranking them out lately Mark.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    The Good: The vessel and finial are superb...right on the money

The Bad: I'd prefer the domed lid to be a smidgen wider, but that's just my personal preference

The Ugly: Well, that'd be me.

You've been cranking them out lately Mark.
    Ditto, both are great, but togheter they give me the impression that the finial doesn't belong to that vase, but that is my personal impression also.

BTW I would have thought that mesquite would be hard to turn being a hard wood as it is
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Mark you did a wonderful job. Forgive me for asking but as i am just getting into the turning and seeing such wonderful works I am always impressed at the finishes. What type of finish is on it? Also I would have to disagree with others that don't like the slightly smaller dome I think it just adds a little personality to it and makes it just a little more unique. I have to get my hands on some of that wood to try.
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

Even a quick look at my output will show that I'm not into this sort of thing Mark, but having said that I appreciate that you have shown the beauty of the Mesquite off well and the form flows, on the finial front I personally can never make my mind up as to which is the correct form for any given piece but if it hits the form as envisaged by yourself I guess it's 'right'.

Looking at other collections, and there are a few that I follow it seems the norm that finials can form a theme line, do you aspire to that with your pieces?
    Chas. just a traveller on the road of time.

Bits & Pieces Gallery
    My Web Site

Im not a big fan of finials in any size or shape but the bowl is beautiful. Great job. I've only seen mesquite in small bags for smoking meat, I'd like to have a hunk to play with.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Beauty Mark. Great form, finish and like the finial.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: That’s when you return from work one day
    and say, “Hi, Honey, I’m home – forever.”

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Watson View Post
    What type of finish is on it?
    No problem, Drew. The finish I used on this is Minwax Antique Oil. I wipe on a thick coat and let it sit for a minute or two and then take a clean rag and wipe it off (and rub it in). Depending on what amount of gloss/shine I'm after I'll apply additional coats in the same way. After the final coat dries for 24+ hours I'll buff it out. This application was shared with me by woodturning friends, so I don't mind sharing with others.

Quote Originally Posted by Chas Jones View Post
    Looking at other collections, and there are a few that I follow it seems the norm that finials can form a theme line, do you aspire to that with your pieces?
    I don't think so, Chas. I actually hate turning finials, which is why you see very few of my pieces with one sittin' on top.
    If you have a pulse you have a purpose...