Mesquite & Blackwood

Mark Cothren

The domed base for the finial, as well as the inset design, was inspired by a couple of pieces Keith Burns' has turned. Mesquite is one of my favorite woods to turn... cuts like butter and sands/finishes very easy. All comments - good, bad, or ugly - are welcome.

Mesquite01.jpg

The Good: The vessel and finial are superb...right on the money

The Bad: I'd prefer the domed lid to be a smidgen wider, but that's just my personal preference

The Ugly: Well, that'd be me. :p

You've been cranking them out lately Mark. :thumb:

The Good: The vessel and finial are superb...right on the money

The Bad: I'd prefer the domed lid to be a smidgen wider, but that's just my personal preference

The Ugly: Well, that'd be me. :p

You've been cranking them out lately Mark. :thumb:

Ditto, both are great, but togheter they give me the impression that the finial doesn't belong to that vase, but that is my personal impression also.

BTW I would have thought that mesquite would be hard to turn being a hard wood as it is:dunno:

Mark you did a wonderful job. Forgive me for asking but as i am just getting into the turning and seeing such wonderful works I am always impressed at the finishes. What type of finish is on it? Also I would have to disagree with others that don't like the slightly smaller dome I think it just adds a little personality to it and makes it just a little more unique. :thumb::thumb::thumb: I have to get my hands on some of that wood to try.

Even a quick look at my output will show that I'm not into this sort of thing Mark, but having said that I appreciate that you have shown the beauty of the Mesquite off well and the form flows, on the finial front I personally can never make my mind up as to which is the correct form for any given piece but if it hits the form as envisaged by yourself I guess it's 'right'.

Looking at other collections, and there are a few that I follow it seems the norm that finials can form a theme line, do you aspire to that with your pieces?

What type of finish is on it?

No problem, Drew. The finish I used on this is Minwax Antique Oil. I wipe on a thick coat and let it sit for a minute or two and then take a clean rag and wipe it off (and rub it in). Depending on what amount of gloss/shine I'm after I'll apply additional coats in the same way. After the final coat dries for 24+ hours I'll buff it out. This application was shared with me by woodturning friends, so I don't mind sharing with others.

Looking at other collections, and there are a few that I follow it seems the norm that finials can form a theme line, do you aspire to that with your pieces?

I don't think so, Chas. I actually hate turning finials, which is why you see very few of my pieces with one sittin' on top.

Good thing I'm looking at the finial in a picture. I normally break delicate finals just looking at them.
I like the proportions just fine. Very nice piece.

I just returned from my woodturning club meeting. Two of the guys there were saying how much they hate turning mesquite. That wuz them. I dunno :dunno: never tried turning the wood. Dif'rnt strokes fer dif'rnt folks.