Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High Winds on Friday

High Winds on Friday

Just thought this was interesting. The weather station I have behind my house recorded some pretty high winds yesterday. At times, the wind display would just say 'HH.H', which meant they were too high to register. I did record a couple of gusts around 125mph at around noon yesterday.

I actually recorded a time lapse video yesterday, because I was kind of expecting something interesting. Just didn't expect the wind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LrMkVW61XU
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

wow that was neat brent i can see that you get it all when it comes you dont have anything between you and the weather.. just a few bushes... if it got cold over there you would be fridgid..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Calls up childhood memories of life on the farm in Idaho... I don't think I've ever seen 125mph winds, though, except through the windshield of my car.

Ah, those were the days.
    -- Tim --

I have a hard time believing the readings myself, but they were just primarily gusts. The anenometer is on a hill, so maybe there's some acceleration that happens when the wind hits the hill Still it was windy. Went out in it and I did have to lean in to the wind in order to move.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Boy, I guess you'd lean! A gust that high would batter ya around quite a bit. I know the wind resistance at 90mph lifts me off the seat of a motorbike (I'm lightweight)... and because of my crazy younger life I know that 70mph generates just enough wind resistance to push me up the windshield of a Ford Fairlane from a sitting position on the hood, with wipers as the only handholds...

Geez, I did THAT? THAT is freakin' NUTS!
    -- Tim --

Really neat time lapse!! Thanks for sharing! What camera did you use?

Paul
    Remember the tea kettle - it is always up to its neck in hot water, yet it
    still sings!

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Hofstetter View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen 125mph winds, though, except through the windshield of my car.

Ah, those were the days.
    My kinda guy

Cool video. I heard mention on the radio yesterday about the high winds in northern NV, and I was suspecting you'd be getting some of it.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Very neat Brent. Boy those were some winds what a cool video spill the beans on how you did that ie what camera and software. Now that i have a mast up at the back of my shop i would like to add that feature to look at capturing snow and other events. Just not certain what camera to use. There are so many to choose from but I really would like a PTZ so i can also use it to Terrorise the NN.

Hey that wind reminded me of a few different things.

Back in my military days I was in an electronic warefare station out in the bush spying on other African countries. Well we used these masts called Clark masts. You pump up each section of aluminum tube with a compressor and then lock the collar at each stage before proceeding to the next. Then you tie thick guy ropes from a few of the collars down to a steel rod 3/4 inch thick attached to a steel plate about 18 to 24 inches square and you bury the plate at least i would say 4 ft in the ground. Quiet a job to set up camp if you doing it as we were for a permament base.

Anyhow one day we are due to get new higher masts and just as the semi trailer pulls into camp a storm hit with winds higher than what you just experienced.

It took the masts and lifted them and their steel plates out off the ground and flew them through the air as if a giant was weeding the garden after a good rain storm.

Good part for us was we did not have the job of taking them down. It also lifted and snapped (just like matches being snapped between your fingers)huge paw paw trees that had been growing in the bush for many years.

Its amazing how quick a storm like that passes.
    Last edited by Rob Keeble; 11-21-2009 at 10:08 PM.
    cheers

Cough-cough....shoulda warned us about the dust.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire