Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ridgid EB4424 Sander DC Fix - ver 2

Ridgid EB4424 Sander DC Fix - ver 2

I thought I had posted the fix I worked out for the rather poor DC on the Ridgid oscillating belt/spindle sander but am not finding it just yet. At any rate, it did help but I still wasn't getting a lot of the finer stuff that clouds the air when doing a lot of sanding (yes, I wear a respirator).

I relocated the sander in anticipation of some reorganization and rigged a hookup into my cyclone as it was nearby and the vac had to stay behind to service the DPs and the smaller BS. It now quick-connects to the same multi-use arm that serves my overarm TS hood and my router fence. Definitely a further improvement over the shop vac.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OSS DC Improve ver 2-1.jpg   OSS DC Improve ver 2.jpg  
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Glenn,

I have that same sander, and its built in DC isn't as good as I would like.

Thanks for sharing your idea!
    I'm probably going to do some thing similar for mine.
    We create with our hands in wood what our mind sees in thought.
    Disclosure: Formerly was a part-time sales person & instructor at WoodCraft in Buffalo, NY.
    www.tinyurl.com/thewoodshoppe

I came close to buying that sander yesterday. How do you like it overall?
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    I came close to buying that sander yesterday. How do you like it overall?
    Oddly enough, weighing in at only 40 pounds and having a plastic housing, its great. I was leaning towards a 12" disc/belt machine but I work for a state agency and the California budget crunch beat up my paycheck. Silver lining; by picking this up to "get by" I discovered that if and when I buy a larger sander, it will have to be an oscillating belt/spindle. No going back now, don't know how I got by without it.

I think you'll find similar comments from other owners. Everyone seems to love the machine except for the DC. Stock; it is just plain poor. The above and below setup sure helped. Backing it with some serious airflow helped even more.

I made a similar set-up a while back, I'm completely happy with it. On another note, my sander itself crapped out recently. It had a gearbox problem for a while where sometimes it wouldn't engage. I took it apart but couldnt find anything wrong with it, reassembled it, and it started working properly again for a while, then started acting up again. The last time it did it, it locked up completely and I burned up the motor trying to get it to go. But that's OK. I Certainly got my money's worth out of it; 4 years of hard use. I've already replaced it with another.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ridgid sander.jpg  

I found one of these on CL 2 weeks ago and got it for $40.00.
    Near perfect condition, just missing the 2" sleeve for the drum sander. I've used it 4 or 5 times and really like it.
    If I get some time this week I'll copy the ideas for DC
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Yep, it is a really nice machine. Been using mine more and more. Thanks for the dust tip Glenn. I will have to work up something like that.

I'm sold. Been looking for an oscillating spindle sander. The drill press sanding rig just doesn't quite cut it. Next time I swing by the ole HD, I'll have to pick one up and hide it in the garage...
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.

Brent, it's bright orange. How do you hide bright orange? Guess you could dress it up like a traffic cone

My shop (garage, cough, cough) is so stuffed with tools and, well, stuff, one more hardly becomes noticeable.

The trick, however, is getting it from the car to the garage un-noticed. Much easier if I buy it at a store, as I can scope things out and choose the time for the transfer.

Items ordered over the internet always get a question. My wife and I both work from home, in an isolated compound out in the desert, so it's an 'event' when the delivery folks stop by...