DW788 - Early Christmas

glenn bradley

Santa dropped by early. Just finished assembling this:

DW788.jpg

It is eerily clean and I will correct that, post haste.

I took advantage of Grizzly's price on this bundle. The saw, stand and lamp come boxed separately. The saw and stand had a little shipping scrunch on the heavy ends. I opened and inspected them before UPS left as is my custom. No worries, the packaging was more than adequate to protect things from much worse treatment.

The instructions are riddled with the typically inadequate DeWalt flavorings. Despite their best efforts I was able to assemble everything easily. Seriously, there's not much to it.

The stand is quite sturdy but taller than I expected. The saw runs quite smoothly in all but the highest range. Since the "nickle test" seems to be a measuring method of sorts:

• A nickle will stand on edge during motor start up and shut down. Even at the relatively rough higher speeds the nickle will move but not fall over.
I did a test cut with the factory supplied blade and have a variety of Flying Dutchman's in hand. There is a pit in the casting to the left of the cutting area about 1/16" across and about as deep. I have emailed Grizzly about a replacement table.

The flaw is minor and in practice, probably transparent. I just feel it is my duty to NOT accept poor QA from the folks I choose to buy from (soapbox, soapbox).

I'll keep you updated on the table CS. For those of you who have these, does the vibration (very minimal) at high speed sound about normal? Thanks.

Last edited:
Well, I had to try it out. Made a door pull for a wall cabinet that I'm making for LOML's daughter who like horses.

Attachments

• DW788-test-003.jpg
    DW788-test-003.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 24
Congratulations on your new toy, Glenn!

I have the same saw and enjoy using it when I can. I haven't done a great deal with it but have done everything from a tiny accent piece to a yard sign. I have mine mounted to a roller cart so I can sit in a chair when working on it. I sense some vibration at higher speeds but the table itself doesn't move. :thumb:

great purchase glenn, its a piece of equipment I keep admiring and the work some guys do are incredible, Im sure youll put it to good use and it will get dirty real quick.
nice pull, didnt take you long!

Santa dropped by early. Just finished assembling this:

View attachment 39483

It is eerily clean and I will correct that, post haste.

I took advantage of Grizzly's price on this bundle. The saw, stand and lamp come boxed separately. The saw and stand had a little shipping scrunch on the heavy ends. I opened and inspected them before UPS left as is my custom. No worries, the packaging was more than adequate to protect things from much worse treatment.

The instructions are riddled with the typically inadequate DeWalt flavorings. Despite their best efforts I was able to assemble everything easily. Seriously, there's not much to it.

The stand is quite sturdy but taller than I expected. The saw runs quite smoothly in all but the highest range. Since the "nickle test" seems to be a measuring method of sorts:

• A nickle will stand on edge during motor start up and shut down. Even at the relatively rough higher speeds the nickle will move but not fall over.
I did a test cut with the factory supplied blade and have a variety of Flying Dutchman's in hand. There is a pit in the casting to the left of the cutting area about 1/16" across and about as deep. I have emailed Grizzly about a replacement table.

The flaw is minor and in practice, probably transparent. I just feel it is my duty to NOT accept poor QA from the folks I choose to buy from (soapbox, soapbox).

I'll keep you updated on the table CS. For those of you who have these, does the vibration (very minimal) at high speed sound about normal? Thanks.

Congrats Glenn on the big yellow hope you love yours as much as I have grown to love mine . Their is so many free patterns out there so happy scrolling .......... Scrolling is my passion > Marshall

Congrats! I've got two of them and will never buy another:rolleyes:

Check the table for flatness as well. Both mine had "humps" surrounding the hole.......I had to do some serious sanding to get them flat.

Congrats! I've got two of them and will never buy another:rolleyes:

Check the table for flatness as well. Both mine had "humps" surrounding the hole.......I had to do some serious sanding to get them flat.

Thanks for the table tip Barry, I'll check it out. . . yet another use for the straight edge. The price of that thing gets more reasonable every time I use it.