Thread: What's your Zip Code??

Butte Montana which is 1/2 way between Purgatory and Heaven

What's your Zip Code??

My wife recently found two plastic HP gift cards in our desk drawer. We have no idea when or where we got them, and really didn't know what they were worth. So I called the 800 number on the back of the card to get some information.

Well after about 3 long minutes of trying to explain to the lady that I only wanted to find out what they were worth (they are good for $10 each for HP products) and that I didn't want to purchase anything at this time, she asked me for my Zip code. After I told her she wanted to know what state I was in. I said Montana, but right now I feel as though I'm in the State of Confusion.

After about 30 seconds of silence she said, " I'm sorry sir, but I don't show that State in our data base. What is the Zip code ?" I started to laugh and asked her if she was joking. She said no but she was still checking. I asked her where she was and she replied the Philippines.

I thanked her for her time and said goodbye.

Jiggs Elphison

...and your point is???

I feel your pain but that's the way of corporate America these days. I understand the labor savings but what about credibility?
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

I feel your pain as well. Great story though

If I can't understand the person on the phone I tell them nicely and ask to speak to someone else.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Butte Montana which is 1/2 way between Purgatory and Heaven

What's your Zip Code??

What is my point? I really wasn't trying to make a point. I just it was a funny story about looking for the State of Confusion.

I guess if i were trying to make a point it would be that it's a shame that so many companies have to outsource their business and why.

Maybe i am in the State of Confusion

Jiggs Elphison

Great Googly Moogly... That's a good one Jiggs. Customer service seems harder and harder to deal with these days. Thanks for the laugh!
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

I moved here from New Mexico, and have needed to tell countless Californians that I did NOT need a Green Card to work here, so I got a kick out of your story Jiggs.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggs Elphison View Post
    What is my point?
    Great story Jiggs. Made me laugh. I think Bill was saying "what's your point?" as a joke. As in, "yeah, welcome to the world of modern day customer support" or something like that. Right along the lines of "If illegal aliens want American jobs, they're gonna have to go to the Philippines"
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Gee Jiggs your lucky to just get the Philippines. We get India. No Really
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    I moved here from New Mexico, and have needed to tell countless Californians that I did NOT need a Green Card to work here, so I got a kick out of your story Jiggs.
    When the Olympics were in Atlanta, people calling from New Mexico trying to buy tickets were told they had to go their country's consulate.
    No amount of explaining helped. This continued all the way through the end of the event.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Watson View Post
    Gee Jiggs your lucky to just get the Philippines. We get India. No Really
    I have a Dell computer and called tech service... the tech that answered had a very very distinct Indian accent.. he said his name was Michael.... Maybe I got through to Michael Dell????
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.