PSI Overarm Guard - Swing Cable

glenn bradley

I have had this overarm DC hood for years. The design is simple and effective (with a proper sized DC). The pivot point for swinging the arm out of the way is just a 'T' of tubing slipped onto a mast of tubing. I never needed the thumbscrew that was supposed to lock the radial position, friction did the trick.

After years and a few dismantle-lube jobs, I decided it might prolong his life to relieve some of the stress. Enter some old gate hardware . . . plumbed the spot overhead and re-tasked an old cable and turnbuckle.

There is hardly any weight on the cable, it just lifts enough to take the "bind" off the tube joint. It swings so easy now that I had to find the old thumbscrew. Stays level through the whole 90+ degrees that I use with it. Just food for thought for any who may benefit.

Attachments

• Overarm cable 001.jpg
    Overarm cable 001.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 119
  • Overarm cable 002.jpg
    Overarm cable 002.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
Oh, I see... it is on a pedestal, looking at first pic I thought it was hanging from a wall or ceiling.

I have planned to implement the same idea on top of my bench for routing and sanding, but with the rigid arm hanging from the wall next to the ceiling, so that I can put it away against the wall when not in use.

It will have to wait until I get a decent cyclone or a more powerful DC.

Thanks for posting Glenn, your shop must be a joy to look at:thumb::thumb:

Last edited:
Thanks Toni. I sometimes get too focused on some small part of something and my pics leave out the big picture (no pun intended).

Here's the overarm in use for Router fence DC:

Overarm cable 005.jpg

TS upper DC:

Overarm cable 006.jpg

OSS DC:

Overarm cable 007.jpg

And just swung out of the way:

Overarm cable 008.jpg