Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Made a smoother on Sat

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix

Made a smoother on Sat

My shop computer crashed on sat so between running diagnostics I made this little smoother, It's Maple and cherry. The Iron is from Lee Nielson,
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Plane 2.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	67.6 KB 
ID:	39527Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Plane3.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	39528Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Plane4.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	71.9 KB 
ID:	39529
    It works

Name:	Plane 6.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	67.2 KB 
ID:	39530
    And here it is with it's cousins, Jack and Block

Name:	Plane 7.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	71.1 KB 
ID:	39531
    Last edited by Don Baer; 11-23-2009 at 08:15 PM.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Good plane Don.

My only doubt is how on earth you manage to get woodshavings from a marble slat, or is it some spalted unknown wood?No doubt why they are so short!
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Quote Originally Posted by Toni Ciuraneta View Post
    Good plane Don.

My only doubt is how on earth you manage to get woodshavings from a marble slat, or is it some spalted unknown wood?No doubt why they are so short!
    I had do do a little tuning but I couldn't wait to take pics.
    The marble is my sharping sandpaper holder..
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer View Post
    I had do do a little tuning but I couldn't wait to take pics.
    The marble is my sharping sandpaper holder..
    I know that feeling pretty well on my own skin.
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Looks like it would be pretty comfortable. Nice Don
    Faith, Hope & Charity

S-m-o-o-o-o-th.........

Actually, very nice. I'm really enjoying watching how much you guys enjoy your planes. Planes ain't my thang and I don't understand why y'all git so warm and fuzzy over 'em. But, I believe, wat ever floats yer stick....go fer it.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    S-m-o-o-o-o-th.........

Actually, very nice. I'm really enjoying watching how much you guys enjoy your planes. Planes ain't my thang and I don't understand why y'all git so warm and fuzzy over 'em. But, I believe, wat ever floats yer stick....go fer it.
    FRank,
    You know the feeling you get when yopur turning, getting those nice curlies. Well, with a plane you can get currlies and the onlu sound you here is the soft swoosh swoosh as the plan passes over the piece.

Okay Don you have me all excited here but you very scarce on the info and pics. Lets have some of that throat from the top and the bottom. Then which LV blade did you use. I see two spindles in the construction pic where were they used? You cant do show and tell of a plane build and be so scarce on the info with guys like Toni and me around Don. We need it blow by blow all broken down and we need to see the wood you planed before and after. What about chipbreaker? Angles etc. more more more more ......
    cheers

Nice work Don, though I have to agree with Rob....more please.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

The Iron I got at woodcraft. Cost $20.The angle of the Iron is 50 degrees, why ? because I wanted to try it. After cutting the angle for the Iron I took off a wedge at 10 degrees from the front piece this became the wedge. I then use the band saw to cut the notch in the front piece. No chip breaker. What else do you need to know? I got the Idea for the throat from our friend from Perth. I kinda like the looks of it. After glue up I flatened the sole by running it through my planne. Then shaped the handles on the band saw using a 1/4" blade.