Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ouch Jointer

Ouch Jointer

Rights of passage them blades need to be set them blades are ouch so sharp. I was congratulating myself then the darn blade just jumped out & bit me on the right pinky finger. Nice clean slice + antibiotic & a band-aid & back at it.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

It is astonishing how sharp those things can be.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Power or Neander? I'm trusting it wasn't running, right?

I got the worst cut I've had in quite a while the other night. Just shut the dishwasher closed and somehow my ring finger managed to find the hole where the latch goes, and ripped a big gash.

The knives though have been leaving me alone lately...
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

First rule when changing jointer blades, lock the blade holder so it doesn't turn.

Glad it wasn't serious, Bart, I hope remembering to follow the rule ( thanks to you) when I change mine.
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Gotcha!!!

Gee...Never had that happen to me...
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Gee....Bart....I've never done that. (I haven't had to change blades on my jointer yet)

After honing one of my skews one night I accidently slid my pinkie finger over it. After 15 minutes or so the bleeding stopped and I decided maybe I wouldn't need an ER trip for stitiches.
    Ken
    ------

This was on the little Jointer/Table-saw system I got for my Dad.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails T&J 1164.jpg  
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

You are just paying the price of owning sharp tools, sometimes a little blood is demanded

We have all been there
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

I think most of us have had a few blood sacrifices to the shop gods. Glad to see it was no worse than it was...the thread title had me a bit nervous.

I learned about sharp edges at a young age. When I was about 5 years old, my dad asked me to go into his room and get his pocket knife off the bedside table. Apparently as I was walking back to the living room, I decided to open the knife for my dad. I got it partway open then it snapped back shut...across the backs of three fingers, which I then pulled out, cutting them worse. My dad's a stickler for sharp knives, and this one was no exception. While I don't remember opening the knife, I clearly remember the look of shock on his face when I came into the living room, cradling my cut hand in the other and dripping blood like a stuck pig. He scolded himself worse than me for the whole thing, but it became my object lesson in sharp edges.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I have a cousin who was using an old Wallace jointer when the cutter head blew apart. There was apparently a series of cracks in the steel body of the cutter head. After decades of time and use, it literally exploded one evening. He had to have a finger reattached above the middle knuckle and another one was broken in several places. He lost feeling in the tip of his middle finger as a result. Pieces of steel went flying. Several went into or through the walls - one knife went up and out through the roof. The lambchop guard wasn't exactly made for that sort of failure.
    paulh