Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Finally arrived

Finally arrived

Well the Lathe stand finally arrived today and took no time to set up. Gee my back is sore. It weighs a ton. Now i just need one of my kids home to help move the beast into it's new home.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lathe stand 003.JPG   Lathe stand 004.JPG  
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

That shines.
    Sure wish I had a built on outboard tool rest like you have.
    Get it moved and git it dirty.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

THAT is a TON OF FUN in one package! Friend of mine had one - his girlfriend hadda' carry the headstock downstairs to his basement for him.

Ain't no stallin' that lathe.
    -- Tim --

Frank I have already had it spinning as it stands ( couldn't wait) it is one solid machine. I must say that I am impressed.

Tim I am shocked that his GF could have lifted it as it weighs a ton. I had a job lifting it off a spacer block that i was using to install the stand. Really heavy.

I have had a couple of instances when the tools have caught and the computer kicks in and stops the motor instantly. It is great no worries about some mad spinning lathe still running while I race for the off switch.

Anyone looking at getting a lathe I can highly recomend this one it is fantastic.
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

Congrats on the lathe. You are going to love it. I tried one out and the DVR. I ended up getting the DVR but both are fine lathes.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Hofstetter View Post
    .........Ain't no stallin' that lathe.
    Actually Tim, with the Easy Wood Tools, and a big heavy chunk of wet wood, I can stall my DVR at will

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Watson View Post
    ...........I have had a couple of instances when the tools have caught and the computer kicks in and stops the motor instantly. It is great no worries about some mad spinning lathe still running while I race for the off switch.

Anyone looking at getting a lathe I can highly recommend this one it is fantastic.
    Yep, that is one cool feature that I seldom hear people mention, sure to really experience turners, I doubt it kicks in much, but when you are beginning, boy is that a nice feature, even if you do have a BIG catch, it turns it into much, MUCH less of an event.

Drew, I'd say that lathe and stand looks "Skookum"

I told you the bed bolts together rock solid!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Good to see the stand and such finally arrived. I still liked the mental picture of you on your knees, turning an egg.

The PM 3520 has an anti-catch feature, too. It's called squealing the belt. Coring rigs are really good for testing that feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Weishapl View Post
    Congrats on the lathe. You are going to love it. I tried one out and the DVR. I ended up getting the DVR but both are fine lathes.
    Bernie, Drew got the DVR. I'll admit though, the pic looked like a 1624 on first glance to me, too.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Yep I didn't look real close. Sorry Drew. Not paying attention. As I said you will love that lathe. I have had mine for about 3 yrs and couldn't be happier. Thanks for the heads up Vaughn.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Watson View Post
    Tim I am shocked that his GF could have lifted it as it weighs a ton. I had a job lifting it off a spacer block that i was using to install the stand. Really heavy.
    She was quite the girl, that one.

I carried it up OUT of his basement (in Connecticut) and down INTO his basement (in Vermont)... but I used a hand truck. When she carried it down that first time, she did it by hand...
    -- Tim --

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Hofstetter View Post
    She was quite the girl, that one.

I carried it up OUT of his basement (in Connecticut) and down INTO his basement (in Vermont)... but I used a hand truck. When she carried it down that first time, she did it by hand...
    Geez, I'd sure not want to get in her bad books!

I've had the headstock off my DVR and yes, it is one heavy solid chunk
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward