Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fireplace/Entertainment Center

Fireplace/Entertainment Center

I finally have my tools at the new place and got to start on my first project. Neither of our old entertainment centers were small enough to fit the alcove where the TV is, so we decided to build a new one. My wife was also missing our fireplace, so we are going to incorporate an electric one in the entertainment center.

My father-in-law had a surplus of particle board, so I'm using it to build the enclosure and will trim it out in white oak with an oak plywood top. Nothing fancy for the enclosure, simple butt joints held with glue and screws.

The design changed some, we've decided to center the fireplace as the computer tower will go on one side and Wii and Xbox on the other, all other components will be above the fireplace.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fireplace4sm.jpg   IMG00247.jpg   IMG00248.jpg  
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Alright, the new shop is in operation.

I gotta say, the drawing of the fire in the fireplace is some of the best Sketchup work I've ever seen. The resemblance is uncanny. I could nearly feel the heat.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Great news on getting the shop all ready to go
    The fireplace will look much better centered.
    Nice room
    Faith, Hope & Charity

here i thought that you only hit keys and made puters work better,, yu really do woodworking as well looks like you might just be settling in after all darren
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    I gotta say, the drawing of the fire in the fireplace is some of the best Sketchup work I've ever seen. The resemblance is uncanny. I could nearly feel the heat.
    Funny you mention it. My wife kept asking in every drawing what is that big box, I had to do something to make her understand.

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    here i thought that you only hit keys and made puters work better,, yu really do woodworking as well looks like you might just be settling in after all darren
    I try, most of my work isn't worth posting. I also got all the stained glass stuff out of storage. I'm considering some on the lower side doors for this project. It's all been in storage for the past 3 years, so I may be a little rusty.

Keep in mind, this is suppose to be a 'disposable' piece since we'll only be here for a year or so. If I make it too nice I won't be able to get rid of it. I have to store the other two entertainment centers since I built them and my wife won't part with them.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gibson View Post
    Great news on getting the shop all ready to go
    The fireplace will look much better centered.
    Nice room
    Thanks, Having tools again made the place feel like home. The alcove in the room picture is where the unit will be placed (where the tv is now).
    Darren

Darren it looks real good. I know you want it "disposable" but is that a curve i see on the bottom. If so how about a small curve through the whole front at each layer? Yup a little more work but that gentle curve makes it really appealing.
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    Darren it looks real good. I know you want it "disposable" but is that a curve i see on the bottom. If so how about a small curve through the whole front at each layer? Yup a little more work but that gentle curve makes it really appealing.
    Thanks Rob. There is actually a curve in the top lip as well, it hard to see in that perspective. I'm building it to somewhat match the tables did a few years ago. The edges of the tops have a slight curve and rounded corners to them. My wife calls them her contemporary Arts & Craft tables.
    Darren

Got some shop time in today after returning from Turkey dinner. Was able to get the rest of the shelving cut, shelving pin holes drilled, and the front ledge cut out, shaped, and glued on the top.

Today I had a revelation about my bandsaw. I've had it for about 14 years and I was still using the original blade. I had bought two new blades about 4 years ago, but have never installed them. It's amazing how much difference and how much more controllable a new blade is.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG00251.jpg   IMG00249.jpg  
    Darren

Got the sanding done and some stain on. The side walls aren't very square, so I plan to seal the base, install it, then scribe/cut the top to fit the opening. The fascia will be cut and assemble once the base in in place also.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG00273.jpg   IMG00274.jpg  
    Darren