Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tool Box, the first of a pair

Tool Box, the first of a pair

Hi everyone. I'm new, here, & thought I'd start by showing my recent project to house some of my hand tools. This is the first of a pair. I'm going to do the second one after Christmas, as I've got a couple of gift projects for others that need to be finished first. I think this is roughly the size of the H. O. Studley toolbox, and to put things into perspective, it holds about 230 less tools. (if you haven't seen this box, Google image the name & prepare to be impressed.)

Since I used mostly power tools to do this box, it may be a stretch putting it here, but I figured that since it was full of hand tools, you might cut me some slack. Also, since this is my first post, I've not tried to add a pic yet, so maybe I'm not showing you anything anyway. If that's the case , I'll go back to the drawing board & try again.
    I'm looking forward to learning the ins & outs of the site. Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Tom first of all a big WELCOME to the Family. Then a thanks for the post and a dang another one to add to the huge growing to do list.

Real nice tool chest i would say. I like the way you have it organized.

Now you a member i hope we see what you do with those tools, we like pics here as you have probably seen.
    cheers

Welcome aboard!

Are those Stanley Gage planes on the left, or the Sargent versions? I have a couple of the Sargent ones, and they're really nice to use.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DeLaney View Post
    Welcome aboard!

Are those Stanley Gage planes on the left, or the Sargent versions? I have a couple of the Sargent ones, and they're really nice to use.
    eagle eye hasnt even had his first cup of coffee and the birds are circling
    nice cabinet and looking forward to the next one after t-Day
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Hey Tom, Welcome !

Nice cabinet and n1ce tools
    Looking forward to seeing more
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Welcome Tom and I wish everyone would stop making things that keep enlarging my MUST make list The tool box is awesome, well done

Welcome Tom, very nice tool box. Look forward to more of your work.

Welcome to the family, and congrats for the box and for the saws as well!
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Hi Tom

The saw second from the right, has it been customized from a full size hand saw? It is not a backsaw and the handle is large, like a full size saw. Also looks like someone spent a lot of time putting inlay into the handle. What's its story?

THanks for the great comments, and a couple of answers

Thanks so much for the great feedback on the box. In answer to the questions, the planes are indeed Gage self setting planes, and although I dearly love my Stanleys, those 2 Gages are the sweetest cutters I have.

As to the saw question, it's not modified in any way. It's a C.E. Jennings coppersmiths, metalworkers, and carpenters saw. (So says the very faint etching on the blade.) It's 13 tpi with almost no set. I'm doing some practicing & it seems like I'll use it for dovetail or possibly tenon work. What looks like inlay in the handle in the pic is actually carving like on other saws. I first thought it was cut down from a longer saw, but I saw (no pun there) one on ebay a while ago that was identical. Happy Thanksgiving to all!