Tool Box, the first of a pair

Tom Muellner

Hi everyone. I'm new, here, & thought I'd start by showing my recent project to house some of my hand tools. This is the first of a pair. I'm going to do the second one after Christmas, as I've got a couple of gift projects for others that need to be finished first. I think this is roughly the size of the H. O. Studley toolbox, and to put things into perspective, it holds about 230 less tools. (if you haven't seen this box, Google image the name & prepare to be impressed.)

Since I used mostly power tools to do this box, it may be a stretch putting it here, but I figured that since it was full of hand tools, you might cut me some slack. Also, since this is my first post, I've not tried to add a pic yet, so maybe I'm not showing you anything anyway. If that's the case , I'll go back to the drawing board & try again.
I'm looking forward to learning the ins & outs of the site. Happy Thanksgiving to all.
toolbox1.jpg

Tom first of all a big WELCOME to the Family. :wave: Then a thanks for the post and a dang another one to add to the huge growing to do list.

Real nice tool chest i would say. I like the way you have it organized.:thumb:

Now you a member i hope we see what you do with those tools, we like pics here as you have probably seen.:D

Welcome aboard!

Are those Stanley Gage planes on the left, or the Sargent versions? I have a couple of the Sargent ones, and they're really nice to use.

Hi Tom

The saw second from the right, has it been customized from a full size hand saw? It is not a backsaw and the handle is large, like a full size saw. Also looks like someone spent a lot of time putting inlay into the handle. What's its story?

THanks for the great comments, and a couple of answers

Thanks so much for the great feedback on the box. In answer to the questions, the planes are indeed Gage self setting planes, and although I dearly love my Stanleys, those 2 Gages are the sweetest cutters I have.

As to the saw question, it's not modified in any way. It's a C.E. Jennings coppersmiths, metalworkers, and carpenters saw. (So says the very faint etching on the blade.) It's 13 tpi with almost no set. I'm doing some practicing & it seems like I'll use it for dovetail or possibly tenon work. What looks like inlay in the handle in the pic is actually carving like on other saws. I first thought it was cut down from a longer saw, but I saw (no pun there) one on ebay a while ago that was identical. Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Very nice, whats the joinery for the outer case? it looks like box joints/dovetails but I think its rabbets with plugged screws??

I thought about making a nice case like this once, but then realized its hard to plan for tools I don't have or will be buying...

Hey Tom,
I'm coming into this thread late.. I don't usually look the tool threads.. mostly just go to the turning, but I did click on this and the first thing I thought of when I was your cabinets was one my father in law (from first marriage) did for his tools... it was a complete console cabinet.. about 6 ft high x 3 ft wide and about 2 ft deep... the upper part had leaves in it like a book that he hung chisel, saws, etc on... the lower half was all drawers for his power tools...

I sure wanted that cabinet when he died, but by then I was no longer a son in law... and I'm sure it went to one of the other SIL's... but I'm probably the only one that did any kind of wood work... and I was in Texas and the cabinet in California..
oh well

That is a really nice cabinet you have there... I could see it in my shop.

WOW Very impressive indeed and how well you keep your tools; beats my rusting, dusting, wormy accumulation of this and that (not sure what I got yet but know I got loads of duplicates as replacements for those temporarily mislaid on various house renovation projects) . . . . and, although Rob wants you to impress with pix of productions, I am wondering how I myself can ever get started carving while I manage to make such a couple of boxes, or three, and clean up their contents? Super stuff and quite jealous! No hammer or mallet to be seen in this box . . . . I have a few to house, see pix: 08-DSCF2233.jpg09-DSCF2236.jpg04-DSCF2226.jpg02-DSCF2239.jpg and also a few chisels and gouges too and i am quite curious as to how your double-bank rack is constructed? What are the dimensions of your box and how is it fitted to the back-bar on the board? Best wishes from one who has a long waaaay to go! David at Matha.