Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: For you woodworking hobbyists in case you forget how expensive...

new york city burbs

For you woodworking hobbyists in case you forget how expensive...

I picked up my first piece of lumber in August 2006.
    Thats a bit over 3 years in this hobby.

Ive spent approx 9000-10000 on power tool purchases, most of them only on sale prices.
    Ive spent approx 1500 on handtools.
    Ive spent approx 4000 on hardwoods, alot I still have left.
    Ive spent approx 7000 on assorted lumbers as PT, cedars, redwood, pine, etc.
    I cant even begin to count the amount of drill bits, router bits, blades, and other essentials needed to run my machines.
    I started from scratch, so Ive spent an enormous amount of money on hardware.
    Ive made approx 2000 dollars in sales, not that I ever looked for sales, most of that from Adirondack chairs.

Throw in paints, thinners, and chemicals, brushes and pads for all that, another pretty penny.(I bought a can of mineral spirits yesterday, 12.59 from lowes. I think I went through 20 or 30 cans of mineral spirits alone, not to mention expensive outdoor urethanes)I dont let a coffee can or tee shirt go into the recycle bins anymore, I use anything and everything I can. I take apart anything Im going to throw out, and save the screws, washers, nuts, parts, tubing, metal, anything I might one day have a use for. I even take other peoples garbage and strip parts, especially drawer slides and pulls.

I havent even gotten into much lathe work, I could only imagine the costs Im going to have.

Im currently waiting on sales for the Jessum sliding table for my TS, and soon will purchase a mortiser.

This is an expensive hobby.

The sad part about it all , is that compared to most seasoned woodworkers, I basically dont own 1/10th of what most own in router bits and specialized tools.

While its not a sailboat, its still quite expensive.

(Id like to add I did sell my 99 dollar ryobi tablesaw for about what I paid for it)
    Last edited by allen levine; 11-25-2009 at 10:37 PM.

falcon heights, minnesota
    and you're just getting started...
    benedictione omnes bene

Syracuse, Nebraska
    and your point is????

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    But Allen if it wasn't for woodworking you'd just spend all your money on wild women and booze..
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

new york city burbs
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Newby View Post
    and your point is????
    its expensive to enjoy woodworking as a hobby.

Its never ending, its a constant expense.

Thats it.

Bradford, Vermont
    Hear, hear, Allen!

Then, if ya tip over the edge and add metalheading... then it's a "starter" mill/drill before you graduate to a knee mill, then two metal lathes, collets & toolholders galore, rotary tables & fat vises & carbide inserts & micrometers & calipers & parallels & 1-2-3 blocks...

GADS. If I'd bought nothin' but cheeseburgers instead, I'd be feeling a little bloated right about now.
    -- Tim --

Plainwell, Michigan
    OK Allen, its time to make your money back, 1st get a quote for redoing your kitchen (you know your wife wants a new one), then do it yourself, you will be many thousands ahead of the game then AND YES YOU CAN DO IT

new york city burbs
    I have turned out some furniture and my kids will save a fortune when they start furnishing their own places, as long as they accept my quality they will do ok.

It might not be a sailboat but you sure will be able to build one with all them tools.

Central NY State
    Here's another way of looking at it.

After 25 years of woodworking, just about every good hand tool I've bought and kept has appreciated in value. And more than my 401K.

Power tools come and go, always at a loss.

People who know me offer me wood at little or no cost.

I've furnished most of my home.

Satisfaction? Priceless.