Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Screwdriver

Screwdriver

I've been wanting to make a screwdriver for a while, I got some really LONG bits from Lee Valley that will be perfect for this.

I wanted to make it with the flutes on the handle to increase grip, so I made up a jig for the router.......
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flute_jig1.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	138.5 KB 
ID:	39651Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flute_jig2.JPG 
Views:	140 
Size:	118.4 KB 
ID:	39646

Worked well, I put six flutes on the handle.

Name:	hairbrush_oak_driver.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	144.9 KB 
ID:	39652
    Here is the screwdriver I made....... and a handle for my daughter's hairbrush, she broke the plastic handle.

Name:	oak_driver.JPG 
Views:	163 
Size:	131.7 KB 
ID:	39647
    A close up of the screwdriver....... I don't like it.... I don't know why I try to reinvent the wheel sometimes, but this one is not to my liking.

Honestly, this is more what I wanted.......

Name:	wood_screwdriver.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	9.8 KB 
ID:	39648

..... classic shape can't go wrong, so this is what I made today.......

Name:	rosewood_driver1.JPG 
Views:	155 
Size:	111.8 KB 
ID:	39649 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rosewood_driver2.JPG 
Views:	166 
Size:	112.5 KB 
ID:	39650
    ..... I like this one a LOT more. One thing I noticed on the first one is that the ferrel is too large for the size of the driver shaft, I found a piece of chromed water pipe from something and I had to use a file to remove the chrome, but I think it looks good now!

The driver will be a Christmas present for my Dad, but I'm thinking about a finish, the wood is Rosewood, some special stuff I got from a friend who got it from a buddy who got it from a Bespoke gun maker in Germany....

Now it only has some lacquer sanding sealer, I like the way it feels, but I fear it will no hold up to use, so I'm thinking about some clear lacquer, but, that might become too slippery...... but then again, I wonder how much it will really get used?

Thoughts?

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

The first one looks real nice but I expect that it's shape would be kind of tough on the hand and wrist after a few minutes of use. The second one is a real classic and looks great as well.
    Nice work Stu.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Looking good Stu. I would agree with Bob in the design. The second one looks easier to hold and use.
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

Stu those are really nice. The second one would fit my old hands pretty well.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

The classic finish for workin' tools was always a hardening oil, never applied till it built up any film, just enough to toughen & seal the wood. Film finishes tend to flake with use & get uncomfortable, besides being slick in the paw.

If ya figure it'll be more of a showdriver, though... a lacquer will be a nice show finish for it... even if it sees a little use, the laquer will stand up to more of it than about any other finish I know of.
    -- Tim --

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Hofstetter View Post
    The classic finish for workin' tools was always a hardening oil, never applied till it built up any film, just enough to toughen & seal the wood. Film finishes tend to flake with use & get uncomfortable, besides being slick in the paw.

If ya figure it'll be more of a showdriver, though... a lacquer will be a nice show finish for it... even if it sees a little use, the laquer will stand up to more of it than about any other finish I know of.
    Tim any particular brand of hardening oil you would recomend?
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

Pretty ordinary BLO does a fine job. Back before BLO was a reality, them's as liked to really take care of their tools would use raw linseed & wait (and wait and wait) for it to harden. BLO shortened that down to a few days.

If ya want a little more boost to it, Watco does a nice job 'long as you don't overdo it & end up with a film.

Unfinished was historically a problem 'cause the porcupines'd gnaw on the handles to get the sweaty-hands salt. That problem still exists where folks leave tools outdoors & porcupines cruise the 'hood.
    -- Tim --

What wood did you use on the first one?
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Hofstetter View Post

Thanks Tim, I may very well just go with a couple of coats of rattle can lacquer.

Quote Originally Posted by Toni Ciuraneta View Post
    What wood did you use on the first one?
    The first one is a bit of wood from my logging in Tokyo adventure, it is called Japanese Evergreen Oak, the tree was sick, hence the neat coloring, but the wood is a bit too soft I think.

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Nice.
    But, that's the least of it.
    You jig ingenious guys get a tip 'o the hat from me.
    Not only can I not think up stuff like that, half the time I don't understand when pictures are posted.
    Very clever.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire