Thread: designer pen-zebrawood

designer pen-zebrawood

wooohooo, I only lost one blank today, cocobolo, didnt know why I drilled 10mmm instead of 7 mm.
    I purchased 18 pen kits, 12 gold, 6 titanium designer styles, figured cant only do slimline, eh.....Im not selling anything, not that Id be able too with my spin work.
    But I spun the tenon, got it done. Behlen finish.
    I was giving it out to a guest today, but decided since I messed up the thickness and taper of the bottom, Ill keep this one for myself.
    I have no shame, Im proud of this pen, its a new world for me.
    Cant wait to drill out some acrylic.
    (shop is closed, but lathe is always open, my only therapy this cold season although today its like 60 degrees outside)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wood stuff 1487 (Medium).jpg   wood stuff 1488 (Medium).jpg   wood stuff 1490 (Medium).jpg  
    Last edited by allen levine; 11-26-2009 at 05:53 PM.

Nice Pen Allen. Sounds like the lathe is being brought inside this cold season.
    cheers

no, but theres no setup, I can put a small heater in that area, and I can do it at 10 at night if I want too, no noise.

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    Quote Originally Posted by allen levine View Post
    no, but theres no setup, I can put a small heater in that area, and I can do it at 10 at night if I want too, no noise.
    Allen nice job. I no what ya mean about a small heater, as my shop ain't heated ether,except for the lathe room. works for me and can have my alone time.

Well Allen, yours looks better than the one I made a couple nights ago with Rockler's version of the same kit. I found a forgotten Rockler kit in the drawer and a pair of pre-drilled and tubed blanks, so I decided to whip out a quick pen. I dug through the bushings and got a set that looked like it'd be the right one, but turns out it wasn't. The instructions were sketchy at best, so I not only messed up the diameter of the pen with the wrong bushings, but I assembled it wrong. It was a pen destined to sit on my desk to remind myself why I don't do many pens. (It's because I too dumb.)
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

That is a nice looking pen Allen. I still have the first couple of pens I wasn't proud of but they are still working fine. It gets easier as you go.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I made another one, came out similar,(I did go up to a higher grit, and I think it looked a bit better, ) used white oak I had, and I spun a rosewood slimline, all three were happily accepted as gifts today, and I got wow, you can make this? wow, I have to go hide it before my wife steals it.

And thats good enough for me,at this point, although I have a bit of climb to produce what I will be happy with, my lathe isnt going anywhere,(rome wasnt built in a day, isnt that what someone once said)