Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why is this Stanley #4 going for so much?

Why is this Stanley #4 going for so much?

Anybody know why? I mean, it looks like a nice plane, but it's not a SW, it's not early, and it's not mint.

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-STANLEY-...item4a9c780296

Good photos always help the price. But looking at the bidding history I would say you have two uniformed bidders that really want this. Lucky seller.

Shopping for entertainment, what a concept!
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

Peoples is funny
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

There's nothing about that plane I can see that would make it worth that much. In fact, with a kidney shaped hole on the lever cap, I would find it unappealing (made too late).

I think some people look at the condition and bid high. I've noticed that planes are like houses - people want "ready to go" condition. They can't see what something can be with a little bit of work.

As Jeff said, "Lucky seller."

Mike
    Ancora imparo
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Ken, I was going to say "cause guys like me are bidding" but I am innocent in this case. I got burnt once thats it. Had a good laugh about it and shared my foolishness.

But each to his own. Someone wants it badly but is probably uninformed.
    cheers

No good reason for it to be going that high. It's pretty much a $35.00 plane.

From the logo, lateral, and lever cap, it seems to be a Type 16 (1933~1941), which makes it pretty common.

The same seller has a Type 11 #4 that looks to be in good shap that's currently going for $48.00. The Type 11's are typically more popular than 16's.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    ......I would find it unappealing (made too late).
    What is funny is I like these because they are easier to use and adjust. I love the larger adjustment wheel, much easier on the fingers than the the little ones. Of course I am not into collecting or the value end, just usability. So I love the cheaper prices too.

Nothing against collectors but you guys make it tough on those of us looking for user planes sometime. I looked for a long time to find a complete skewed block plane at a reasonable price. Still a couple I would like to have but refuse to pay the going price for them.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Jeff, why don't you make one. Thats one of the planes I want to make in the near future. Also thinking about a low angle bevel up shoulder plane.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Let me explain my comment about the kidney shaped hole.

Stanley planes are readily available - except for the odd sizes like the #1, #2, #5 1/4, and maybe a few others. So it's easy to find a plane if you need it.

While I don't consider myself a collector - I only have planes I use - I like the "hunt" so I've limited myself to certain characteristics. I prefer a low knob plane with the adjustment screw behind the frog, which limits me to only certain "types" of Stanley planes. One big dividing line in the age of Stanley planes is the hole in the lever cap. The planes I want all have the keyhole in the lever cap so any plane with the kidney shaped hole is unappealing to me.

Over the past few years, however, I've branched out and mostly look for Keen Kutter single K planes or Vaughan & Bushnell 900 series planes. I've even started looking for Type 6 or 7 Bedrocks at affordable prices.

When I find a plane I really like - e.g. I bought a 605 type 7 I really like recently - I'll sell one of my older planes on eBay. Not that the "older" plane didn't work well, but maybe the new one just feels better to me.

So it's a continuous process for me, mostly because I enjoy buying and using hand tools.

Mike

[P.S. on the skewed block plane, I bit the bullet and bought the LN set (left and right). But I find I don't use them much and may wind up selling them. For many things you can use a regular block plane and skew the whole plane. I also bought the LN 98/99 set and while I don't use them often, they're really valuable when you need to widen a dado slightly.]
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 11-27-2009 at 04:52 PM.
    Ancora imparo
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I think that it depends wether you are a collector or just a woodworker that's looking for a good tool.

Collecting tools is like collecting stamps or coins, it is not only about having that speciall model, but also having the same model of the following year with that slight difference, and the next one with that another difference, or the same model made in USA, UK, or other country. And so forth.

Stanley planes for instance get much higher prices on Ebay if they have the original decal on the handle, the better its condition the higher the price, same happens with coins or stamps.

I'm no collector at all, my only regret is that collectors are ready to pay that much and even more to get a piece that it is missing in their collection, that leaves those like me and Rob and some others who are only looking for a "user" affordable plane somewhat at their mercy.

Then there are those who make bussines buying and selling tools, and who pay peanuts to lonely patternmakers widows for their husband's tool chests and sell them one by one at ebay or other places.

My two cents
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...