Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Fence for Router Table

New Fence for Router Table

First two pictures:
    I made the old fence for my router table (located in the wing of my table saw) from a Red Oak 2x4. It mounted to the top of my table saw's fence using steel brackets and T-bolts. It had a piece of T-track attached to its top edge for feather boards & stop blocks. There was a dust collection connection, but it didn't seat tight to the table top, so a lot of dust escaped. Over time the 2x4 developed a slight warp. at that point I decided I was going to build an upgraded fence for the router table.

The new fence is constructed of baltic birch, with an adjustable fence made of MDF. The fence has a T-slot for using feather boards or stop blocks. The adjustable fence also opens wider than the largest bit that I have, so if I ever need to use one of the monster panel raising bits, it should work fine. This fence still attaches to the table saw fence, but now it attaches to the T-slot in the side of the fence. The dust collection port now has a better connection to the new fence. In addition the port also points straight up making it easier to connect the shop vac. The JessEm feather boards are new as well. They adjust right down to the top of the table for thin material, and up fairly high to accommodate thicker stock.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails r_tablefence09.jpg   r_tablefence10.jpg   r_tablefence01.jpg   r_tablefence02.jpg   r_tablefence03.jpg  

r_tablefence04.jpg   r_tablefence05.jpg   r_tablefence06.jpg   r_tablefence07.jpg   r_tablefence08.jpg  

We create with our hands in wood what our mind sees in thought.
    Disclosure: Formerly was a part-time sales person & instructor at WoodCraft in Buffalo, NY.
    www.tinyurl.com/thewoodshoppe

looks good sean but i hope you arent gonna run the raised panel bit that way.. you shouldnt have anything under it, other than the router collet.. the fence looks great though
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Nice looking fence Sean. Nice to have the flexibility of the moving fences on either side.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    looks good sean but i hope you arent gonna run the raised panel bit that way.. you shouldnt have anything under it, other than the router collet.. the fence looks great though
    Larry,
    I just put the raised panel bit in to show the size. I wasn't actually going to use it like that.
    We create with our hands in wood what our mind sees in thought.
    Disclosure: Formerly was a part-time sales person & instructor at WoodCraft in Buffalo, NY.
    www.tinyurl.com/thewoodshoppe

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Wright View Post
    Larry,
    I just put the raised panel bit in to show the size. I wasn't actually going to use it like that.
    As in "guards removed for clarity"? Looks great Sean. That should be a step up in flexibility at your table.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Now that's what I'm talking about! Nice job!
    Got Wood?

Ok I am a dummy, I have not yet run a raised panel bit and dont know what you guys are seeing that Sean has under the bit in his picture.

Can you help me understand what it is that he is doing wrong even though he acknowledges that he would not run it that way. How should it be mounted and run.
    cheers

That is a great looking fence, it should do everything a person could want and then some.

I do have a question, how do you like the Jessem feather boards?

From what I can see they really look good and I am thinking about ordering some.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    Ok I am a dummy, I have not yet run a raised panel bit and dont know what you guys are seeing that Sean has under the bit in his picture.

Can you help me understand what it is that he is doing wrong even though he acknowledges that he would not run it that way. How should it be mounted and run.
    Hey Rob,
    they are talking about the red insert below the blue router bit in picture #5.
    Dan
    Jesus was a Woodworker

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post

Dan beat me to it. The bit is mounted above a throat insert that is too small for it.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke