New Fence for Router Table

Sean Wright

First two pictures:
I made the old fence for my router table (located in the wing of my table saw) from a Red Oak 2x4. It mounted to the top of my table saw's fence using steel brackets and T-bolts. It had a piece of T-track attached to its top edge for feather boards & stop blocks. There was a dust collection connection, but it didn't seat tight to the table top, so a lot of dust escaped. Over time the 2x4 developed a slight warp. at that point I decided I was going to build an upgraded fence for the router table.

The new fence is constructed of baltic birch, with an adjustable fence made of MDF. The fence has a T-slot for using feather boards or stop blocks. The adjustable fence also opens wider than the largest bit that I have, so if I ever need to use one of the monster panel raising bits, it should work fine. This fence still attaches to the table saw fence, but now it attaches to the T-slot in the side of the fence. The dust collection port now has a better connection to the new fence. In addition the port also points straight up making it easier to connect the shop vac. The JessEm feather boards are new as well. They adjust right down to the top of the table for thin material, and up fairly high to accommodate thicker stock.

Attachments

• r_tablefence09.jpg
    r_tablefence09.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 204
  • r_tablefence10.jpg
    r_tablefence10.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 186
  • r_tablefence01.jpg
    r_tablefence01.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 190
  • r_tablefence02.jpg
    r_tablefence02.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 178
  • r_tablefence03.jpg
    r_tablefence03.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 193
  • r_tablefence04.jpg
    r_tablefence04.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 185
  • r_tablefence05.jpg
    r_tablefence05.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 155
  • r_tablefence06.jpg
    r_tablefence06.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 167
  • r_tablefence07.jpg
    r_tablefence07.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 155
  • r_tablefence08.jpg
    r_tablefence08.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 140
looks good sean but i hope you arent gonna run the raised panel bit that way.. you shouldnt have anything under it, other than the router collet.. the fence looks great though

Ok I am a dummy, I have not yet run a raised panel bit and dont know what you guys are seeing that Sean has under the bit in his picture.

Can you help me understand what it is that he is doing wrong even though he acknowledges that he would not run it that way. How should it be mounted and run.:dunno:

That is a great looking fence, it should do everything a person could want and then some.

I do have a question, how do you like the Jessem feather boards?

From what I can see they really look good and I am thinking about ordering some.

Ok I am a dummy, I have not yet run a raised panel bit and dont know what you guys are seeing that Sean has under the bit in his picture.

Can you help me understand what it is that he is doing wrong even though he acknowledges that he would not run it that way. How should it be mounted and run.:dunno:

Hey Rob,
they are talking about the red insert below the blue router bit in picture #5.
Dan

Dan beat me to it. The bit is mounted above a throat insert that is too small for it.