Cast resin / stopper question.

Chuck Beland

I picked up some of this at Micheal's craft store. http://tinyurl.com/ycsjdf4. I plan on making a bottle stopper for my BIL & SIL. I plan on turning a shallow recess maybe 3/16" deep then paint it with acrylic red paint then following the curve of the stopper I plan on taking letter stickers & put their name inside of it. One of them will have the names & in the middle the date they got married the other one will have first names & their married name in the middle. Then I want to use the casting resin over the letters. I was thinking of picking up some of this http://www.frogtape.com/ & using it around the circumference of the recess to stop any bleed out of the resin. This stuff is a lot better then the blue painters tape. My questions are.

1. Any ideas on doing this a better way then I came up with?

2. Will this type of cast resin make the letters pop put or look bigger?

any other advice is appreciated.

I have a feeling the FrogTape won't do a very good job of stopping the poly resin from bleeding, but I could be wrong. It'll be a difficult job to finish, I wan... the only thing I can think of that might (reasonably, without making a silicone mold) make it easier to accomplish is making a mold from paraffin that fits the stopper's shape very very well before you cut that recess.

If you get it done, the resin should magnify the lettering - not much, but a little, and only in one aspect (width, not height).

If I'm picturing your description right, you're turning a wood stopper then casting a resin cap on top of it. Is that right? If so, I'd think the tape would work if you're planning to remount the blank and finish turning the cast portion. (Which I think you'd have to do no matter how you mold it.) If the resin over the letters is flat, you'll have little to no magnification. If you shape the resin into a dome over the letters, it'll act as a magnifying glass. And if you make a depression over the letters, it'll make them look smaller.

I know "No pics it didn't happen" :D

Vaughn,
You are exactly right in your thinking. I do have a question I don't get this part.
"And if you make a depression over the letters, it'll make them look smaller. ":huh: