Thin NE Yellow Eucalyptus

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
I've been busy trying to get some pieces finished up for a holiday market thing I'm doing this weekend and next, but I figured I should get some pics of things before I pack them up. I'll show the various pieces over the next few days.

This one is yellow eucalyptus, about 9" x 7", and the wings are between 3 1/4" to 5 1/4" high. It warped so much while drying that there wasn't much wood left by the time I got it trued back up. The walls are about 1/8" thick, although they thicken up a bit towards the bottom. I burned the rim to highlight it a bit. The finish is buffed Formby's Tung Oil Finish. I used Don Pencil's PL compound instead of tripoli, and I'm really liking the results I get with it.

Bowl 075 - 01 800.jpg Bowl 075 - 02 800.jpg Bowl 075 - 03 800.jpg

Comments and critiques...you all know the drill...

That is definitely an artsy piece. I like it a lot and suspect it will appeal to a lot of folks who view your work. I guess that's the first piece of yellow eucalyptus I've seen - looks good!

imho if the "burned rim" bark was not there the piece would lack the defining edge.;):)

I am not good enough at the picture editing but i am sure one of our graphics gurus could take a copy of Vaughns picture and doctor it to remove the edge and give us a look at what it would look like with and without the "edge":D:thumb:

Cody, look again, it is the bark still on the edge!!!

I did lose some of the bark while turning it...that's part of why I burned the rim. ;) The other reason was, as Rob mentioned, to better define the edge.

I've got another one -- thinner yet -- that I'll post pics of in a day or two. But first a thick one, for a change-up. :p