This Could Work For Wood Turners Too!

Dan Mooney

"Have you ever wanted to make or receive a phone call underwater?" Well yes, yes I have... that one time at overnight camp when I thought I was drowning in Moose Lake. Since then, not so much - but it's a huge relief to know that modern technology has got all the bases covered, even if they're covered by 20 feet of water. Global warming? Meh... as long as I can chat with my buds & babes, it's all good.

The geek-tastic technology in question here is the Alpha UWCP Underwater Cell Phone System
and I, for one, am glad it's out of beta. For the low, low sum of $1,790 budding Captain Nemo's can make & take calls while swimming with the fishes. That's really something, as performing the former formerly led to the latter.

What would an underwater phone conversation sound like, anyway? Perhaps something like this: "Honey, don't forget to bring home milk, bread and something for dinner... (blub blub blub)... what's that?... (blub blub)... sure, salmon's fine."

Your $1,790 buys you a full face mask with hose and 1st stage underwater communication unit, a 40 meter (131 feet!) long cable with a waterproof connector, a waterproof interface box for your cell phone (NOT included, by the way) with integrated Bluetooth, and lastly an inflatable buoy with flags... so rescuers will know where to find your waterlogged carcass. (via SkyMall)

Attachments

• 725438611_rqfxV-O.jpg
    725438611_rqfxV-O.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 203070087gx2_img_assist_custom.jpg
    203070087gx2_img_assist_custom.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 19
Well it was only a matter of time before some rocket scientist thought of this. What is so important that I would need to talk to anyone while i am diving? Gee remember the days when you only had one phone and it was in the kitchen of the house. If you missed a call someone took a message. What have we become? :doh::doh::doh:

Thankfully they are just passing a new law starting January 1 here in BC that it is illegal to be using cell phones or electronis devices while driving.:thumb::thumb:

That sounds good no more radios, cd or even 8 tracks in the car...But the LEOs are able to run 3 radios a cell phone and computer...while in hot pursuit..

I have never understood the problem of cell phone while driving. In the past I ran ham radio and CB.

I see women driving all the time while taking care of a baby in the back seat(as mandiated) and find that far worse than talking on the phone. Those that can"t drive and talk will find something else too distract them while driving.

Garry

Thankfully they are just passing a new law starting January 1 here in BC that it is illegal to be using cell phones or electronis devices while driving.:thumb::thumb:

Several states in US have such laws... or require the talker to be "hands free".. while it's a good idea for the hands free talking, which would be like talking to your passenger while driving... personally I think it's an unenforceable law.:dunno:

I don't own a cell phone, don't want one, don't really need one... it's bad enough that I spend several hours a day on this d....-d computer.:type::type:

That sounds good no more radios, cd or even 8 tracks in the car...But the LEOs are able to run 3 radios a cell phone and computer...while in hot pursuit..

I have never understood the problem of cell phone while driving. In the past I ran ham radio and CB.

I see women driving all the time while taking care of a baby in the back seat(as mandiated) and find that far worse than talking on the phone. Those that can"t drive and talk will find something else too distract them while driving.

Garry

Sorry Gary "Hand held electronic devices" such as texting. It may amaze some but there are videos of one woman driving down town through traffic with her knees while she is texting someone a message. A bus driver was caught doing the same thing too. The reason that this new law has come about is one idiot was texting someone and he crossed center line killing himself and someone else.

I know that there are other doing equilly stupid things like women putting on make up and dealing with kids while driving and the law will be difficult to enforce just like seatbelts and drinking and driving and you can't catch everyone but it is a start.

I don't own a cell phone, don't want one, don't really need one... it's bad enough that I spend several hours a day on this d....-d computer.:type::type:

I remember taking an electronics tech course back in 1981 when the commador 64 was the main computer in everyones home. The wife was going through some of her craft box's and she pulled out an old paper with a huge RadioShack add in it for a Tandy 4000. It reads "As 386 based AT compatable systems go, I can't think of none which seem to be as good a value as the Tandy 4000. It's well made, well supported and well thought out. More than that, it works flawlessly" For only $4595.00. What year was that you may ask? Feb 1988 Oh and it didn't even come with a monitor that was an extra $999.00. Going to have this framed and mounted on the wall for the kids. How many remember the old 386 meg a bite systems?

Here in the impoverished state of California, we have a no cell law. If it was enforced we'd be back in the black and driving would not need to be so 'defensive' an activity.

Of course then the police might have to stop using their personal cells while driving, too!

Here in the impoverished state of California, we have a no cell law. If it was enforced we'd be back in the black and driving would not need to be so 'defensive' an activity.

Of course then the police might have to stop using their personal cells while driving, too!

I heard that the Governator's wife got a ticket for talking on her cell phone while driving!

Last edited: