Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what magazine do you like?

Question what magazine do you like?

I'm not posing this as a poll because there may be several woodworking magazines out there I'm not familiar with. I'm getting a lot of subscription notices, probably because of the new year. The magazines I am familiar with are: Woodsmith; Wood; Woodworking and Fine Woodworking. Let me/us know which you get and prefer and why.

I guess the one I get the most out of is Fine Woodworking. It just seems to have more of the things I'm interested in than others. Sorry I can't be more definite.

Mike
    Ancora imparo
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    Let me/us know which you get and prefer and why.
    Frank,

I get Woodsmith, Wood, and Fine Woodworking - I also get Popular Woodworking, American Woodworker and Shop Notes. I actually enjoy them all - for various reasons. I'll have to think a bit about which one is my favorite.
    “We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk

frank, the three i do are fine woodworking, woodshop news, and modern woodworking.....tod
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

if i had to choose between i would go with fine woodworking i quess but i have second hand access to popular wood working, shop notes ,wood smith wood, american woodworker,woodworker journal.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I guess the one I get the most out of is Fine Woodworking. It just seems to have more of the things I'm interested in than others. Sorry I can't be more definite.

Mike
    I'm with Mike on FWW. I like to see things that are on the higher end and maybe a stretch of my talents or lack of.

I get Wood but seems to be more jigs and tips, not much in the way of furniture that I like.

Shop notes is good but hit and miss on usefullness.

I get either American Woodworker or Popular Woodworking too but don't really have an opinion as I don't remember much about their focus.

I get Workbench too and while not a great WW magazine, it does help me visualize some casework projects I have coming up some day. I have no imagination so nice to see the pictures.
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    frank, the three i do are fine woodworking, woodshop news, and modern woodworking.....tod
    Tod, never heard of Modern Woodworking. What's their typical issue like?
    Brian

I like Canadian Home Workshop magazine. It is not just about woodworking, which I kind of like. Have no idea what subscriptions to the USA would cost. (Full disclosure: I am a bit biased, since I've written about 6 articles for them over the past 3 years, but I've been subscribing since around 1998)

There is also Canadian Woodworking, which is still a relatively young and small publication.
    Last edited by Art Mulder; 01-19-2007 at 09:29 PM.

Steve Clardy Guest
    Modern Woodworking
    Shop Notes
    CabinetMaker

Alan DuBoff is offline Former Member (by the member's request)
    Hands down Popular Woodworking (intentional pun there;-). ChrisS has done a terrific job at turning the magazine around, and has excellent staff to work with as well. Top notch and certainly my favorite magazine. I prefer the slant towards using both hand and power tools, with an emphasis on hand tool techniques. For me these are the most thought out articles in the industry at this time. They also tend to favor some of the styles I admire most, like Greene & Greene, A&C, Shaker, Mission, and other traditional styles. The emphasis on doing work in a traditional manor with hand tools appeals to me.

I still find Fine Woodworking to have interesting articles, but let my subscription expire and didn't renew it...I'm not as keen on the direction, or so many diverse directions the magazine takes, which is also one of it's virtues. FWW is able to provide content for a very diverse set of readers which I think is it's real strength.