what magazine do you like?

I don't see it too often but I have been impressed with Australian Wood Review; sort of FWW with a different attitude and from a different national sense.

Seeing the FWW list of "what you need in a shop" was amusing; AWR did something like that a couple of years ago and started from the perspective that, obviously, you'd be looking to spend about the same as a family car. They considered that to be enough to buy things like a serious cyclone DC, a minimax 410 or felder 741 combo or maybe separates, a big bandsaw (mm16 for example) a widebelt sander and so on.

A bit different approach to the typical!

I subscribe to FWW, Pop WW, and Wood, will pick up others off the shelf if they look interesting. Wood gets a bad rap sometimes, but as a relative beginner, I still find it of value. They do some reasonably scientific studies of joint strength, glue strength, and other topics, for which the conventional wisdom and results of their testing don't always mesh. It's kind of nice to see these things subjected to objective measures sometimes. They also have some simple, confidence building plans that FWW would catch flack for feauring. Remember the furor over the FWW cutting board article. One would have thought the world was coming to an end. :eek: That said, if I had to cut one, Wood would be the one to go.

I like the direction Pop WW is going, with their inclusion of hand tool skills, and like someone else said, they feature the sort of period furniture that I would like to build. In terms of education, if Wood mag is high school, Pop WW would be college, and FWW would be grad school. I would hate to have to choose between the last two, I like FWW for the inspiration and depth of thier articles, but I would have to confess I'm not to that level of craft yet, though I do aspire. When I was playing music, I always found it to be of value to play with folks better than myself, as it stimulates growth.

Dan

They vary so much from issue to issue. I enjoy some issues alot, some only a little, but I tend to enjoy American WWer the most in the past couple of years, followed by Pop WWing, Wood, FWW, Shop Notes, Workbench, and WWer's Journal. I find Woodcraft magazine to not be worth a subscription.

IMO FWW has slid alot in the last 5 years...their "Tool Buying Guide" is really bad. It's kind of interesting to see how my ratings of them have changed....is it me or them?

Last edited:
brian, it`s geared toward the professional, production shop.....very little of interest to a hobbiest woodworker.....the typical advertiser is offering machinery in the 15-250k range......all but griz;) ......tod

No full page Grizz or Shop Fox ads? I'm out then.

Maybe a good place to advertise, I'll have to take a look.

I enjoy these the most
Popular Woodworking
Woodworking Magazine
Woodwork Magazine

The last one I enjoy more than FWW, though I do occassionaly pick FWW up, but am probably just going to get the online access to FWW in the future.

Woodwork Magazine can be seen here:
http://www.woodwork-mag.com/index.html

I find the nice work a bit nicer than FWW in the last couple years, enjoy the articles on makers, and in general holds my interest more overall than FWW.

Take care, Mike