Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bandsaw Blade

Bandsaw Blade

I watched a DVD from Fine Woodworking the other day. It was covering the Laguna Bandsaw. I was noteing the blade that was used to cut a very thin cut on a piece of Walnut. It looked almost like a saragated knife blade? It made such a nice cut of about 3/32" Wondering if I could get a blade like that for my Jet 14" with the raiser bar. Mine takes a 103" Blade?
    If you make a mistake it was part of the original plan!

We have a place here in Portland called Palm Abrasives they'll weld a blade any length you want.
    Jesus was a Woodworker

I don't know about that blade. But, I have seen Tod cut very smooth paper thin veneer with (I think) a four tooth blade.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Ron, definitely treat yourself to a TimberWolf blade from Suffolk Machinery. The difference is HUGE.

http://www.timberwolf1.com/
    -- Tim --

I have a Timberwolf 3/4" blade that worked fairly well. Then, I heard about the 1/2" Woodslicer, got one and was amazed at how much better it worked.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

Another vote for the Woodslicer®. I have one on my Laguna 16, and it's great.

BTW, the Laguna Resaw King blade is nice, too. One of them for your saw would be about $200.00. They want $228.00 for the 132" blade on my saw. I can buy six Woodslicers® for that!
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

I just bought two new blades for my band saw, for resawing. Went with Timberwolf. Can't do better, in my book.

Bruce
    Bruce Shiverdecker - Retired Starving Artist ( No longer a Part timer at Woodcraft, Peoria, Il.)

"The great thing about turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed and you have something beautiful. Nature does the hard part!"

not tryun to throw stones but i know that tod isnt using a timberwolf or a woodslicer,, he uses ordinary ellis mfg blades.. possibly the saw setup makes the quality of the cut to some extent?? i havnt seen tods cuts but i have seen a cut from jim delaney and his are smooth!!!!
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    not tryun to throw stones but i know that tod isnt using a timberwolf or a woodslicer,, he uses ordinary ellis mfg blades.. possibly the saw setup makes the quality of the cut to some extent?? i havnt seen tods cuts but i have seen a cut from jim delaney and his are smooth!!!!
    I'd agree, a good tuning of the guides and the right blade for what your cutting will give good results. Typically choose a blade with a TPI that at least 3 teeth are in contact with what your cutting at all times.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    I'll second the nomination for Ellis blades. (Thanks again, Tod.) Less than half the price of Timberwolves and as good or better in my experience. I'm serious. There's nothing magical about the Timberwolf...they just have better marketing and a popular reputation. On my 14" Shop Fox saw, I do like the Woodslicer better for resawing, but for anything else, the Ellis blades have made me a very satisfied customer.

BTW Ron, if your saw and riser are like most of the other 14" saws out there, I'm betting your blade length is 105", not 103". You should double-check before you order any blades.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com