Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Shop

New Shop

Just getting started with setting up a new (first) workshop. Hope this is the right forum to post a question? So here it goes.

The space is approx 18 X 22 in a larger basement. Ceiling height is about 9 ft. I need to add lighting and was wondering if there was a rationale for CFL vs fluorescent strips?

I will post pictures as I progress; but appreciate any advice

Sal Cangialosi

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    first of all Sal welcome. Glad you plan on posting progress picture cause that will keep the picture police happy.

Interms of lighting the best way to say this is the more the better. I run 3 4 foot florescent fixtures each one has 4 tubes in it all that in a 10'x20' shop my larger shop needs more lighting
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Delton, Michigan
    run T8'S, the T12's are gonna be discontinued in the near future. i had four 8ftrs in a 24x24x7 shop and had a white ceiling. had good light and went with twice that in the larger shop.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

No, not all of SoCal is Los Angeles!
    +1 on T-8's. I run fifteen 4 ft. dual lamp fixtures in a 21 x 31 shop.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Amherst, New Hampshire
    Welcome Sal!
    Faith, Hope & Charity

RETIRED(!) in Austintown, Ohio
    My shop is 26 X 32, and I have eight two-tube eight footers in there, and a couple of two-tube four footers for close-up lighting, like over my bench. Nicely bright in there.
    Jim D.

North West Indiana
    Welcome Sal!!! Congrats on the new shop. I remodeled a building this summer and am enjoying the fruits of that labor this fall! I painted my ceiling gloss white and my shop is 24x24, currently I have 3 of the T8's Larry mentioned. I plan on three more, strategically placed. I figure I can put in switches and shut off the extra but can't have to much light for some jobs.
    God and family, the rest is icing on the cake.

I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place.

Premier Bovine Scatologist

Wow, thank you for the welcome and replies. Didn't think I would get this many opinions this quickly. It is much appreciated.

I have an electrician coming over today and will discuss the T8's as it seems to be the consensus

Sal Cangialosi

Tokyo Japan
    Sal, welcome to the Family!

More light is better, my Dungeon has NO natural light, hey, that is why I call it a "Dungeon" so I have a LOT of lights, 14' x 22' space, I have I think 18 or 20 four footers in there, plus task lighting on the lathe, and drill press, also under my wood rack, where my chop saw lives.

More is always better, put them on banks, maybe three or four, so if you do have a nice bright day, maybe you only need to turn on some of the lights.

Also, if you work at night, make sure you have one set of lights that will NOT go off if you trip the main breaker, or you could be plunged into darkness, holding a piece of wood, near a fast spinning sharp piece of steel

Just a thought!

I have one bank of lights that are on a line I ran from the main panel, that does not go through my Dungeon sub panel, just in case

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

GTA Ontario Canada
    First a big WELCOME to the family Sal. Don warned you on the picture police and i would take notice of his warning, they gonna get you if you post again an there aint no pics.

On the light side i second the T8's and also electronic balasts. Cost a bit more but you dont get the buzzing when you do want the shop to be quiet. There are times its nice to have the radio off and listen to the swoosh of a plane without the noise of a balast.

I thought i had a great deal of light but need even more.

I have a shop that is 21x17 interior size and have 4 tandem 4ft tube fittings down one side.Attachment 39781 That is 16 4ft tubes. Still not enough in my opinion when its dark outside. But i will use local lights now for additional work light.