New Shop

Just getting started with setting up a new (first) workshop. Hope this is the right forum to post a question? So here it goes.

The space is approx 18 X 22 in a larger basement. Ceiling height is about 9 ft. I need to add lighting and was wondering if there was a rationale for CFL vs fluorescent strips?

I will post pictures as I progress; but appreciate any advice

Thanks
Sal

first of all Sal welcome. Glad you plan on posting progress picture cause that will keep the picture police happy.

Interms of lighting the best way to say this is the more the better. I run 3 4 foot florescent fixtures each one has 4 tubes in it all that in a 10'x20' shop my larger shop needs more lighting

run T8'S, the T12's are gonna be discontinued in the near future. i had four 8ftrs in a 24x24x7 shop and had a white ceiling. had good light and went with twice that in the larger shop.

My shop is 26 X 32, and I have eight two-tube eight footers in there, and a couple of two-tube four footers for close-up lighting, like over my bench. Nicely bright in there.

Welcome Sal!!! Congrats on the new shop. I remodeled a building this summer and am enjoying the fruits of that labor this fall! I painted my ceiling gloss white and my shop is 24x24, currently I have 3 of the T8's Larry mentioned. I plan on three more, strategically placed. I figure I can put in switches and shut off the extra but can't have to much light for some jobs.

thanks

Wow, thank you for the welcome and replies. Didn't think I would get this many opinions this quickly. It is much appreciated.

I have an electrician coming over today and will discuss the T8's as it seems to be the consensus

Best
Sal

Sal, welcome to the Family! :wave:

More light is better, my Dungeon has NO natural light, hey, that is why I call it a "Dungeon" so I have a LOT of lights, 14' x 22' space, I have I think 18 or 20 four footers in there, plus task lighting on the lathe, and drill press, also under my wood rack, where my chop saw lives.

More is always better, put them on banks, maybe three or four, so if you do have a nice bright day, maybe you only need to turn on some of the lights.

Also, if you work at night, make sure you have one set of lights that will NOT go off if you trip the main breaker, or you could be plunged into darkness, holding a piece of wood, near a fast spinning sharp piece of steel :eek:

Just a thought! :D

I have one bank of lights that are on a line I ran from the main panel, that does not go through my Dungeon sub panel, just in case :rolleyes: :wave:

Cheers!

First a big WELCOME to the family Sal. Don warned you on the picture police and i would take notice of his warning, they gonna get you if you post again an there aint no pics.

On the light side i second the T8's and also electronic balasts. Cost a bit more but you dont get the buzzing when you do want the shop to be quiet. There are times its nice to have the radio off and listen to the swoosh of a plane without the noise of a balast.

I thought i had a great deal of light but need even more.

I have a shop that is 21x17 interior size and have 4 tandem 4ft tube fittings down one side.Shop lights  at last.jpg That is 16 4ft tubes. Still not enough in my opinion when its dark outside. But i will use local lights now for additional work light.

15...WoW now I can see Why You are wearing those Dark glasses.:rofl:But You can't have to much light,big thing is have them positioned so as to avoid shadows on your work surface.:thumb:

Ya Mon!

Attachments

• Shop Lights 002.jpg
    Shop Lights 002.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 151
  • Shop Lights 005.jpg
    Shop Lights 005.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
Photos

Ok, I give in. Attached are some "before" pictures. Try not to laugh to loud - it will get better :)

I ordered a saw stop and jet jointer. This should give me most of what I think I need to get started other than a band saw. No decision there yet.

Again, appreciate welcome and advice...

Sal

Attachments

• _D2X1355.jpg
    _D2X1355.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 135
  • _D2X1356.jpg
    _D2X1356.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 131
15...WoW now I can see Why You are wearing those Dark glasses.:rofl:But You can't have to much light,big thing is have them positioned so as to avoid shadows on your work surface.:thumb:

Ron i like your joke with Glenn ( i think he has big enough shoulders to handle it) but on the serious side i find that this many lights still aint much. Seems to me the T8's might be economical but you need lots of them to get light and it takes a while for them to get up to max light output when they have been cold. There is a saving in energy though compared to the old ones. I still think one needs more local light in a shop.

Ok, I give in. Attached are some "before" pictures. Try not to laugh to loud - it will get better :)...

Nothing to laugh at there, Sal. A lot of us have started with less. And with a new SawStop in its way, it sounds like you'll be doing some major catching-up real soon. :thumb:

So...what else you got going on under all those fluorescent fixtures?
cool2.gif
Reminds me of some places I used to see back in the '80s, but it wasn't woodworking that was happening in those rooms.
whistling.gif
:rofl:

Sal
Welcome to the group... You got some good answers from these guys... and by their standards, it must be dark in my shop... I run 4 4 ft 2 tube florescents and have a couple of spots that shine down on the lathe for added light.... I need to add a couple more of the florescents 'cause I need one over the table saw. I also have a couple of the round aluminum shop lights from Wallyworld that I spot over the lathe.. they use incandescent bulbs and I keep 100W's in them. Incandescents do get hot though if you are right under them in the summer.

let there be light - and power

Followed the collective advice and had 3 banks of 4 bulb t8 lights installed. Also, added regualar and 230v outlets. Took the time to empty the area and paint the floor since I will need to move things aground for the new table saw and jointer. Defintetly is much better now.

Guess this is what they call a clean slate...

Sal

Attachments

• workshop - new lights copy.jpg
    workshop - new lights copy.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 105
Followed the collective advice and had 3 banks of 4 bulb t8 lights installed. Also, added regualar and 230v outlets. Took the time to empty the area and paint the floor since I will need to move things aground for the new table saw and jointer. Defintetly is much better now.

Guess this is what they call a clean slate...

Sal

Sal
That sure looks nice now!..
Garry

Looks really good, but have you thought about a ceiling? Sure, you lose a bit of space for storing stuff, maybe, but painted white it would be a LOT brighter, and there would be a LOT fewer places for stacks of dust to hang out:dunno:

Just a thought :D :wave: