new motor on the way!!!!

Dan Noren

Staff member
the ups truck showed up yesterday a little after 2 pm. :Dgot them to the garage and realized this is gonna be a more than 1 day project:doh: the legs for the base for the bandsaw didn't have any tabs at the bottom, so my plan for the mobile base went out the door. i wound up building a new bench for the both of them. :thumb: going to work on assembling the new toys today. hopefully i can use them by this afternoon. :thumb: pic later today.

Last edited:
the good news is that everything arrived safe and sound yesterday, and the new bench got built, in spite of advice from my dad and nephew. with the help of that same nephew (that drill press has a heavy headstock), the new tools were assembled today. i only needed his help with the headstock, since we put the only heavy part of the bandsaw on the bench yesterday. well, got everything together, and got a move on with the tealight holders. the bandsaw worked like a champ. the drill press turned out to be a problem child. now this is the heavy duty drill press, and should stand up to more than a handfull of holes (1 7/8 x 1/2" deep with a forstner bit taking shallow hits). well, to make a long story short, it didn't. the motor overheated badly. i spoke with the grizzly people when i got home, and they are having me do some checking of the motor tomorrow morning, after it has cooled down. it could be a number of things, up to and including a bad motor. they said once we figure out the nature of the problem, they could have the motor out to me in 5 business days. good customer service on thier part. darned shame that it would have to happen on it's first go-round, but, better to catch a bad motor right away. oh well, here are pics of the new toys in all thier glory before i put them to work. :D

Attachments

• this morning's start.JPG
    this morning's start.JPG
    119.2 KB · Views: 104
  • drill press assembled.JPG
    drill press assembled.JPG
    135.9 KB · Views: 99
  • bandsaw assembled.JPG
    bandsaw assembled.JPG
    110.2 KB · Views: 104
  • bandsaw drill press new bench.JPG
    bandsaw drill press new bench.JPG
    127.4 KB · Views: 104
Those will be nice additions to the mix. Bummer about the hot motor, but I suspect the Grizzly folks will get you taken care of quickly.

In the future if you decide you want to mount the saw on its own base, it should be pretty easy with just a little platform on wheels...

Bandsaw Base.jpg

save for the raised lip vaughn, that's what i had, didn't think of the raised lip though. oh well, tomorrow, once the motor is completely cooled down. i'll be checking the capacitor, see if it's bleeding oil or not. then see if the motor will run without a load, and not trip the ground fault in the process. if it runs, listen for bad bearings. then hook the belts up, and see if it heats up again. what a fun thing to have happen with a craft show around the corner....:rolleyes::rofl::rofl::rofl:

The most interesting experience I've had with a capacitor is when the 'run' capacitor on my delta dust collector gave up the ghost and caught fire. Basically, the motor switch wouldn't shut it off anymore and the garage rapidly filled with smoke. Pulling the plug and hitting it with a fire extinguisher kept the house from going up.

The interesting thing was I was able to just replace the capacitor and clean up the motor and every thing works fine. The only difference is that now I keep the dust collector where I can push it out of the garage in a hurry....

So, The moral of the story is this kind of stuff can happen to any brand of tools!

See what I did there? I took off on a total tangent and brought it right back into the point of the thread... :rolleyes:

Hi Dan

I like your practical approach to problem solving.:D Congrats on the nice new tools too. I am sure you will get over the infant mortality issues with your motor. I really like the look of that Dp.

Now a few thoughts for you to think about. I know you put your cart/benchs out in the driveway and that you get to work the tools from any side you wish.

You might want to think about rotating your Dp 90 degrees clockwise and being able to work it from the end of the workbench. That way you will have 180 free range either side of the Dp allowing you to drill any long piece of anything without it interfering with the bandsaw.

As for the Bandsaw i would rethink putting it on your cart with a raised lip.

Not trying to be critical just giving you some thoughts to think about. :thumb::)

Last edited:
another thing to keep in mind dan is leverage, you are puttin force against something high and yu dont want these to tip over..make sure your base is sufficient to counter the forces coming toward it. and that the rollers are locking well enough to stop it from moving when you dont want it to go anywhere. glad you got your new toys and good luck on your next sale:)

Is that the G7943 model drill press? That's the model I have. Has gotten considerable use, almost daily, for seven years. Except for the MT held chuck falling out when I first got it, I am very pleased. Only downside, like you, I'm space limited and got the bench model. For only $20.00 it could have been a floor mode. A floor model is much more versatile, wish I had gone that route.
BTW, no overheating problems with my motor. Sorry about yours. But Griz folks will take care of you.

drill press update...

after checking the things the grizzly people wanted me to check, and describing the symptoms, it turns out that the drill press may have had a weak capacitor, causing it to back down to what they called it's primary windings. the new capacitor is on the way via first class mail from philadephia. :thumb:

rob, i was giving that some thought last night as i was drilling. what i'm going to do, is to move them on to one of the wider benches, and move the shaper and mortiser on to the new bench. that should eliminate any worries about top heaviness. i may stop out at the borg to pick up some heavier duty casters for the wider bench, to accomidate the heavier tools. that ought to keep me out of mischief while waiting for the capacitor.:D:thumb:

Hi Dan

You might want to think about rotating your Dp 90 degrees clockwise and being able to work it from the end of the workbench. That way you will have 180 free range either side of the Dp allowing you to drill any long piece of anything without it interfering with the bandsaw.

)

You were faster than me Rob, I was going to suggest the same.:thumb:

re-arranged set up

stopped by my dad's after dropping the wife off at work and got some pics of the new bench setups. i have added new heavier duty casters to the one original bench (because the top is deeper 33" as opposed to the first bench's 22'), and now the drill press, bandsaw, and spindle sander now reside on it. the shaper and mortising machine are now on the first bench. now all i need is that silly capacitor, and i'm in biddness...:D:thumb:

Attachments

• new set up shaper.JPG
    new set up shaper.JPG
    115.3 KB · Views: 47
  • new set up mortiser.JPG
    new set up mortiser.JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 47
  • new set up bandsaw.JPG
    new set up bandsaw.JPG
    123.7 KB · Views: 49
  • new set up drill press and spindle sander.JPG
    new set up drill press and spindle sander.JPG
    112.9 KB · Views: 51
the new capacitor has finally shown up!!! :D the paperwork said first class, but somehow it went out 3rd class, oh well:doh:. now to put the new one in! it should be easy, the old one has the wires shoved into a clip, and the new one has connections with screws.:thumb: