Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Show us your worst !!!

Show us your worst !!!

Well got to thinking we could do with a thread to offset the feelings of dispair a guy like me gets when i see some of the work guys post here and then look at my own.

So how about it are we all ready to come clean and own up to being human go ahead post your worst effort at making something. Plywood, scrapwood, finished, unfinished half finished, not finished etc.

No good stuff now this is meant to make a guy like me feel good about my best work and hey its meant to be a little fun so Bart you go first. i will post my most embarressing piece which Tom and Larry missed when they visited my home. Got to get pictures first (later).
    cheers

This was supposed to become a cutting board. I keep it around to remind me to plan ahead, don't get cocky and don't start something you don't care to finish; that's wasted shop time ;-)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cuttingboard-fail.jpg  
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    This was supposed to become a cutting board. I keep it around to remind me to plan ahead, don't get cocky and don't start something you don't care to finish; that's wasted shop time ;-)
    so whats wrong with it glenn other than its not finished,, the center wasnt laid out the way you wanted???
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    so whats wrong with it glenn other than its not finished,, the center wasnt laid out the way you wanted???
    I looked and looked and wondered the same thing.

Also, did you notice the guy that started this thread didn't post anything for us to actually see!?
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

My screwups and mistakes wind up in the trash bin (well, recycle bin to be precise), so I don't have any pictures. But I do have the memories and that helps me improve.

Mike
    Ancora imparo
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix

Exclamation

I'm with Mike except I burn mine.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

i got one hangun on my wall in the shop. it reminds of the time i did it and what not to do, also the way it was handled at the time!!!
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Ha Rob, I post them every time I put up a pic.

My first shop teacher taught us how to use rock hard putty, he bought it in large containers by the truckload. It was the worst for taking stain and sanding, but I think it taught us to not make the mistakes that required much putty at all, so I'm pretty selective in what I fasten together and how I fasten it. I also will toss anything I don't feel is up to 'my' standard, so I don't have much to show you other than a scrap bin of a lot of boards that are cut wrong.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Looks good to me, If your going to beat on it much, I might be concerned about the joints lining up down the middle. However those glue joints are stronger than the wood, so It would probably split along the grain before they would along those joints.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

I don't keep a pic record of mine, but for the seven drawer dresser I'm working on I had to make four new drawer fronts. Cause rushing.

I'm on the third set of pieces for the top. Cause rushing.

I had to redo two lateral panels. Cause rushing.

By the time I finish I could well have made two instead of one

It seems that I'm not learning from my own mistakes, maybe if I have only two hours of shop time a day I should spend them brooming it clean and tidying my tools instead of trying to get something done.

Maybe it is my brain that is asking for a break
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...