Show us your worst !!!

Rob Keeble

Well got to thinking we could do with a thread to offset the feelings of dispair a guy like me gets when i see some of the work guys post here and then look at my own.

So how about it are we all ready to come clean and own up to being human go ahead post your worst effort at making something. Plywood, scrapwood, finished, unfinished half finished, not finished etc.

No good stuff now this is meant to make a guy like me feel good about my best work and hey its meant to be a little fun so Bart you go first.:rofl::rofl::rofl: i will post my most embarressing piece which Tom and Larry missed when they visited my home. Got to get pictures first (later).

This was supposed to become a cutting board. I keep it around to remind me to plan ahead, don't get cocky and don't start something you don't care to finish; that's wasted shop time ;-)

Attachments

• cuttingboard-fail.jpg
    cuttingboard-fail.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 121
My screwups and mistakes wind up in the trash bin (well, recycle bin to be precise), so I don't have any pictures. But I do have the memories and that helps me improve.

Mike

Ha Rob, I post them every time I put up a pic. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

My first shop teacher taught us how to use rock hard putty, he bought it in large containers by the truckload. It was the worst for taking stain and sanding, but I think it taught us to not make the mistakes that required much putty at all, so I'm pretty selective in what I fasten together and how I fasten it. I also will toss anything I don't feel is up to 'my' standard, so I don't have much to show you other than a scrap bin of a lot of boards that are cut wrong. :D

This was supposed to become a cutting board. I keep it around to remind me to plan ahead, don't get cocky and don't start something you don't care to finish; that's wasted shop time ;-)

Looks good to me, If your going to beat on it much, I might be concerned about the joints lining up down the middle. However those glue joints are stronger than the wood, so It would probably split along the grain before they would along those joints. :dunno:

I don't keep a pic record of mine, but for the seven drawer dresser I'm working on I had to make four new drawer fronts. Cause rushing.

I'm on the third set of pieces for the top. Cause rushing.

I had to redo two lateral panels. Cause rushing.

By the time I finish I could well have made two instead of one:(

It seems that I'm not learning from my own mistakes, maybe if I have only two hours of shop time a day I should spend them brooming it clean and tidying my tools instead of trying to get something done.

Maybe it is my brain that is asking for a break:huh::dunno:

Hey Toni, if you kept the laterals, top, and drawer fronts, you would have another one that would be bookmatched mistakes!:huh::huh: Could be pretty cool!!!! At least could be a garage cabinet!

Ok I think we should have a trophy or vote for who wins the "rushing" trophy.

Toni I thought i had the monopoly on that one. :D;)

I think Glenn said it all in one of his threads way back when. I was remarking or ranting dont know which about how i would like to be able to go to the shop and just make something not having to make a this or that jig or buy a this or that bit etc.

Glenn pointed out in his wisdom that he had the same experience but one day you suddenly find you have all the ingredients neccessary and you can just "get on with it" Not to say you ever end the buying of tools or building of jigs, but it reaches that asymptote where you are over the hump and its small increments.

Thats the day i will be able to enjoy a mere couple of hours and be productive rather than destroy a project and be remorseful.

And of course dont forget the sages words " sometimes its just fun to come into the shop and potter around Rob" told to me the Mr. Merlau and i fully agree. Only trouble is I seem to potter more than work.:D:thumb:

My offset speed to full ball is slower than a turtle.

I wish there was a half way point. Oh well .............. the journey continues.:rofl:

Rob, that is the bison way, so slow that they drag their toes or full speed ahead, darn the topedoes!!! (sometimes think they ran full speed with their eyes closed the way they would hit the front of the trailer). Used to watch a couple buddies haul bison for another buddy (the one's you saw Larry).

OK, all you guys dancing around this subject like a bunch of ballerinas need man up and show some failure pics. :p Like these...

Making the roof slats for a garden arbor. For our wedding, to be exact. Plan looked like this:

Roof Slat 800.jpg

I needed five of these slats, so I wrapped my five pieces of stock with stretch wrap so I could cut them all at the same time. Here's how one end came out...

DAMHIKT1 - 800.jpg

That worked so well, I quickly did the other end. Can you spot the problem? :huh:

DAMHIKT2 - 800.jpg

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

So...that's how it's done.