Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My first ole iron

My first ole iron

Well, since Mini-Max doesn't make one, I had to get the next best thing...ole iron

Attachment 3591 Attachment 3592 Attachment 3593

It's a 14" Dewalt "GA" long arm saw. I'm not sure, but I think it's about a mid 60's vintage. Perhaps one of the aficiandos on here can let me know better.

It seems to be in pretty good shape, Runs smoothly, no slop on either the motor or arm bearings, travel is very smooth on the arm.

It needs a good cleaning, a new table top, definetly a new blade, and a new switch...the switch at the end of the arm died and the previous owner bypassed it with a contactor and regular light switch (visible to the lower right in the one picture).

Any info anyone cares to share with me about this saw would be appreciated...including where to get a new switch assembly.

Thanks...
    - Marty -

P.S. Jeff, I thought I knew what that was in your avatar picture. Now I know for sure:Attachment 3594
    Fivebraids, Inc.
    When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there’s no end to what you can’t do…

Wow Marty...I knew you were stretching the budget a bit building the new shop and all, but I didn't figure you were reduced to having to buy used tools. You poor guy.

Looks like a nice find, Marty. It looks similar to one I used quite a bit in high school shop class. It should make a nice addition to the mix.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Wow Marty...I knew you were stretching the budget a bit building the new shop and all, but I didn't figure you were reduced to having to buy used tools. You poor guy.

Looks like a nice find, Marty. It looks similar to one I used quite a bit in high school shop class. It should make a nice addition to the mix.
    Vaughn,

No joke...I'm outta funds...so it's either used or none!

But hey, I'm pretty sure this old saw will serve me well...

- Marty -
    Fivebraids, Inc.
    When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there’s no end to what you can’t do…

Vaughn,

Here's another reason I went used. Original Saw, who is now producing the Dewalt Radial Arm saws, is awful proud of the new version of this saw. Have a look "here"

Ole works for me...
    - Marty -
    Fivebraids, Inc.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Walsh View Post
    Vaughn,

Here's another reason I went used. Original Saw, who is now producing the Dewalt Radial Arm saws, is awful proud of the new version of this saw. Have a look "here"

Ole works for me...
    - Marty -
    WOW thats a bit steap.. Ya done good Marty.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Vaughn,

Ole works for me...
    - Marty -
    Yep, I've read a bit about the Original Saw, and have been amazed by the price they charge. I was just doing a bit of chain yankin' about you buying used tools. I'm sure you'll get just as good of cuts for a whole lot less money with yours. And before too long, it'll help produce some money itself, which I realize is at least part of the motivation for building the new shop in the first place.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Marty,
    Does it say "Lancaster, PA"? If so, it was made a block away from my house! Just a bit of meaningless trivia.

Wes

Well, since Mini-Max doesn't make one, I had to get the next best thing...ole iron

Attachment 3591 Attachment 3592 Attachment 3593

It's a 14" Dewalt "GA" long arm saw. I'm not sure, but I think it's about a mid 60's vintage. Perhaps one of the aficiandos on here can let me know better.

It seems to be in pretty good shape, Runs smoothly, no slop on either the motor or arm bearings, travel is very smooth on the arm.

It needs a good cleaning, a new table top, definetly a new blade, and a new switch...the switch at the end of the arm died and the previous owner bypassed it with a contactor and regular light switch (visible to the lower right in the one picture).

Any info anyone cares to share with me about this saw would be appreciated...including where to get a new switch assembly.

Thanks...
    - Marty -

P.S. Jeff, I thought I knew what that was in your avatar picture. Now I know for sure:Attachment 3594
    Marty, I have a newer version of that saw. Mine was in very good shape, except for the bearings which were a bit dry. I ended up ordering replacements from the original saw company. I ended up making mine into a dedicated cut-off station. I got the arm to a perfect 90 degrees with the 5 cut test and then locked down the column so that there is no play. Set this way I can't do angles or dados, but the 90s are perfect. I also added a Biesemeyer radial are fence system (they no longer sell the RAS version), that makes the RAS lengths as easy to set as the Biesemeyer TS fence. It would be easy to make something similar. My switch is in the end of the arm, is that where your's is? I think the Original Saw Company has all the parts.

Awesome saw. I paid $700 15 years ago. How much did you have to spend?..joe

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Bischel View Post
    Marty,
    Does it say "Lancaster, PA"? If so, it was made a block away from my house! Just a bit of meaningless trivia.

Wes
    Wes,

It sure does :

Attachment 3599

- Marty -
    Fivebraids, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Jensen View Post
    Marty, I have a newer version of that saw. Mine was in very good shape, except for the bearings which were a bit dry. I ended up ordering replacements from the original saw company. I ended up making mine into a dedicated cut-off station. I got the arm to a perfect 90 degrees with the 5 cut test and then locked down the column so that there is no play. Set this way I can't do angles or dados, but the 90s are perfect. I also added a Biesemeyer radial are fence system (they no longer sell the RAS version), that makes the RAS lengths as easy to set as the Biesemeyer TS fence. It would be easy to make something similar. My switch is in the end of the arm, is that where your's is? I think the Original Saw Company has all the parts.
    Joe,

I have the same thing in mind for this saw...a dedicated cut-off station set at a perfect 90 degrees!

I also plan to add infeed and outfeed tables, with a long fence with built-in tape measures and stops to allow me to make repeatable accurate cuts. (Not sure if that's what the Bies does...)

Yes, my switch is at the end of the arm. Well, the original, non-functioning one is. The current working one is mounted under the table, hung off a contactor on the power cord.

I suspected Original Saw might have parts. I've been to their web site, but can't find anything but instructions on finding the serial number. Do I then have to call their customer service? I was hoping to be able to browse through the parts catalog... )

Awesome saw. I paid $700 15 years ago. How much did you have to spend?..joe
    I got a very good deal...I paid $250 (plus about $50 in gas to get there and back). A new blade and some elbow grease and I think I'll have a pretty good cutoff station...

- Marty -
    Fivebraids, Inc.